• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Gears/racing Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter shonoff
  • Start date Start date Aug 27, 2005

shonoff

Member
Dec 16, 2004
105
0
17
Ohio
Aug 27, 2005
#1
  • Aug 27, 2005
  • #1
I am going to run my 98 auto for the first time at a track on Sun.I have 4.56 gears in it,and I'm not going to use the O/D .My question is am I gonna run out of rpms in 3rd before I reach the end of the track?Thanks in advance
 

Pughman

Member
Dec 25, 2004
295
2
18
in a galaxy far far away"MISSOURI"
Aug 27, 2005
#2
  • Aug 27, 2005
  • #2
hell i dont know .....just do it and find out ...
 

MyEarsHurt

New Member
May 21, 2004
918
0
0
Aug 27, 2005
#3
  • Aug 27, 2005
  • #3
I have stock gears, but whenever I am gonna race someone, I always turn off the O/D. Try it both ways and let us know the difference in track times.
 

tomustang

Psychotic Member
Founding Member
Jun 8, 2000
3,434
2
78
McLean Hospital
Aug 27, 2005
#4
  • Aug 27, 2005
  • #4
Whenever I ran thru the gears at WOT, My 3rd gear would automatically shift into overdrive without it being on.

This was on my 98 Auto GT.
 

tomustang

Psychotic Member
Founding Member
Jun 8, 2000
3,434
2
78
McLean Hospital
Aug 27, 2005
#5
  • Aug 27, 2005
  • #5
Oh, and you shouldn't worry about the OD being on unless you are decelerating, especially going into first with it on.
 

Dark Knight GT

I can't get it up......ok that didn't sound right.
May 26, 2003
3,653
2
56
Ozark, Missouri
Aug 27, 2005
#6
  • Aug 27, 2005
  • #6
Chances are, if you're running 4.56 gears in the rear w/ a 26in diameter tire on the rear, you're going to run out of gear. Unless of course if you've got a higher rev-limiter than what a stock 98 GT has.
 

shonoff

Member
Dec 16, 2004
105
0
17
Ohio
Aug 27, 2005
#7
  • Aug 27, 2005
  • #7
tomustang said:
Oh, and you shouldn't worry about the OD being on unless you are decelerating, especially going into first with it on.
Click to expand...

I thought hitting O/D at WOT was bad for the tranny???
 

Dark Knight GT

I can't get it up......ok that didn't sound right.
May 26, 2003
3,653
2
56
Ozark, Missouri
Aug 27, 2005
#8
  • Aug 27, 2005
  • #8
I have knew of a few cases where people shifted into o/d at Wide open throttle and the o/d band lived through it. It's not something I recommend doing though, especially with a 4.56 gear ratio in the rear end. The only way I would do it is if I had a beefed up racing o/d band that is meant to be shifted into at Wide open throttle. Just my .02 cents.

What other mods do you have done to your 98 automatic GT ?
 
J

::Jongo::

New Member
Aug 18, 2005
32
0
0
Aug 27, 2005
#9
  • Aug 27, 2005
  • #9
shonoff said:
I am going to run my 98 auto for the first time at a track on Sun.I have 4.56 gears in it,and I'm not going to use the O/D .My question is am I gonna run out of rpms in 3rd before I reach the end of the track?Thanks in advance
Click to expand...


what size tires, and is the motor stock lower end?
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

3.08 gears with a manual trans
  • limp
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
43
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Qtrhrse23
A
Blow through intercooled questions
  • AngryH58
  • Aug 31, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
180
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 1, 2026
AngryH58
A
W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
213
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
J
Power Wire Upgrade Question
  • jhaling
  • Dec 21, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
309
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Mar 23, 2026
Noobz347
A
A/F ratio gauge install questions.
  • AngryH58
  • Sep 24, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
82
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 24, 2026
squeak93
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?