Drivetrain Gears

Thebluefox1

Jun 28, 2022
Pasadena
Hello I changed my gears to 3.55 but the trans shifts different I was just wondering if it’s normal or do I need to adjust the shift cable because when I get to 40 or 50 mph I think it goes on overdrive will this damage the trans? I have a 90 hatch 5.0 aod

• Sponsors (?)

Typical when you change an AOD from 2.73's to something like 3.55's or 3.73's. It's going to shift to highest gears pretty darn fast.

When i had 3.73's with an AOD (i'm 5-spd now), i drove around in "D" and only used "OD" once i got on the highway. Otherwise i was in 4th gear (OD) at 45MPH at 1200RPM and it wasn't fun.

Last edited:
Same here…. Went from 2.73s to 4.10s in my AOD.
I’m in 3rd by the time I cross the intersection. I stay in D for local driving which keeps the acceleration and exhaust rumble very nice but once on the highway she’s in OD at 2300 rpm doing 65 mph.

Typical when you change an AOD from 2.73's to something like 3.55's or 3.73's. It's going to shift to highest gears pretty darn fast.

When i had 3.73's with an AOD (i'm 5-spd now), i drove around in "D" and only used "OD" once i got on the highway. Otherwise i was in 4th gear (OD) at 45MPH at 1200RPM and it wasn't fun.
Is there a way to adjust it other than converting to 5 speed because getting on the highway is kind of tricky it doesn’t shift to 3 for faster acceleration even if I press the pedal all the way

Is there a way to adjust it other than converting to 5 speed because getting on the highway is kind of tricky it doesn’t shift to 3 for faster acceleration even if I press the pedal all the way

Is your TV cable hooked up? It may need adjustment. Typically anything more that 1/2 throttle should force a downshift from OD to 3rd gear. NOT downshifting when you floor it is not normal and an indicator something is not set correctly

You really should fix both the shifter and verify TV cable adjustment is correct. Incorrectly set TV cable will kill the trans.