Gentex Mirror Install

My mirror is doing that, right down the center. Its annoying.
The camera ones are pretty cool. Down the road I might look into one. I'm into this for under $50 which is what LRS charges for a new fox mirror.

My fox mirror was delaminating, so I needed a new mirror anyway.[/QUOT

• Sponsors (?)

It's an easy hookup. If you have temp, run a couple 22ga wires from the mirror, all the way to the front bumper area. Install sensor there, and wire the mirror and sensor together. I ran power and ground from the radio harness. Mine has an extension harness because I use an aftermarket bluetooth radio (no CD), and didn't want to cut into the factory harness. Real easy install. Make SURE you get a mirror puck from a GM product because the Ford puck (the part that's glued to the windshield) doesn't play well with the Gentex mirrors. And finally, most parts stores want to sell you a plastic puck. Throw that thing in the trash. Get a metal one because the additional weight of the Gentex will break/remove the plastic ones once it sits out in the sun for a while.

Easy install and really gives you a little bit more modernized "feel" to an old fox body car. Great upgrade, IMO. I have one in both of my foxes, one has temp, compass, and homelink, the other is a 177 with temp/comp only. And yes, I do use the compass from time to time if I'm in an area that I don't frequent.

Reactions: 1 users
Camera with LCD screen is a nice idea. Would actually be useful backing out of garage with kids around.

I actually ended up going back onto EBay. 2005-2006 Nissan Pathfinder has the mirror with homekink, comp and temp. I ended up picking up one of those for well under $100 with the puck and harness. I'll just have to make a quick junkyard trip for a temp sensor

I'll likely flip my other mirror and harness and prob get my money back. Maybe even make a few bucks by properly labeling and describing it (amazing how many on eBay don't do this)

Last edited:
They (Gentex) all use the same sensors. Some have a clip, some have a mounting tab, some are round and have a couple claws to hold them into a round hole, etc. You can get them at parts stores, and they aren't expensive. I live about 90 miles from the nearest yard, so it generally costs more to drive to/from the yard than it does to just buy the part new. That's an option if you can't find one at a yard.

I used to buy/sell a few of those mirrors in different fashions, and some are worth more than others. Green display mirrors aren't high demand. BUT some of the others ARE, and easily obtained at a junkyard if you know what vehicles to look for.

They come in different display colors, some have temp, others dont, some have bluetooth, some have compass only, some have a camera, some have map lights built in, etc. What I have found, though, is that once you get one you want, finding wiring instructions online isn't easy. Ebay sellers have harnesses with diagrams, and they aren't real expensive-and probably a good option before you hook up the wrong wires to 12v and fry the board like I did on one of them trying to figure out what wires do what.

IIRC some of the Toyota's and Lexus's had desirable orange display colors, temp and comp built into the mirror without a dedicated window for the temp/comp display, map lights as well....and THOSE are harder to find but kinda cool to have. That's the ones that have a "floating" display, where it appears to be behind the mirror glass. I want one for my two foxes but with a green display to match the cluster, and someday soon (when it ain't raining), I'm going to the yard to load up on a list of crap that I plan on reselling, and will keep a couple for my own projects. The bad part about a lot of the GM stuff is that many of them had that stupid OnStar built into them, which is useless for anything, IMO. Out of about 5,000 cars at the local yard, the last time I looked for a mirror, maybe 25 of them had one that were usable. Then a couple hundred GM cars & trucks with OnStar mirrors. BMW's had some nice ones too, as did Mercedes and the other brands of Toyota and Nissan (Lexus and Infinity, respectively).

Reactions: 1 user
Camera with LCD screen is a nice idea. Would actually be useful backing out of garage with kids around.

I actually ended up going back onto EBay. 2005-2006 Nissan Pathfinder has the mirror with homekink, comp and temp. I ended up picking up one of those for well under $100 with the puck and harness. I'll just have to make a quick junkyard trip for a temp sensor

I'll likely flip my other mirror and harness and prob get my money back. Maybe even make a few bucks by properly labeling and describing it (amazing how many on eBay don't do this)

That's why I bought it. I was backing out of the garage and my 3 year old darted behind the car. If I hadn't saw her in the side mirror I would have never seen her. Of course my wife running down behind her screaming helped too.

Got my mirror with both temp and compass and homelink. Of course they cut the wiring too short to even splice to. Need a harness but got a temp sensor coming as well

But seriously?
IMG_6751.JPG

Last edited:
I want one with the camera screen but on second thought....I don't want onstar staring at me every time i look in the mirror. That stuff belongs in Chevys... not my baby.

We shall see. I bought a harness for the other mirror. May have to swap a pin and add two more using this connector. I'll give it a shot otherwise I'll just go to boneyard and cut a few harnesses off (and take mirrors for eBay sale)

Reactions: 1 user
Ok. Got all my parts.

2006 Nissan Pathfinder, of Infiniti QX56 mirror (looks the same as first post). I actually got two of them.

I also got the wiring harness and temp sensor. With the Nissan mirror, you need a Nissan sensor. The resistance values are unique to it.

Dorman 76864 is the part number for the mirror mount to the windshield

IMG_6779.JPG

But yeah. Homelink, compass and temp!

Here's the wiring diagram
IMG_6777.PNG

This weekends project will be extending these wires and routing.

IMG_6781.JPG