Getting ready to build my 5.0...some questions

02stangman

Sep 23, 2002
New Jersey
Hey guys, It's been a looooooong time since I posted here. I joined back in '02 when I had my 02 GT but then got into trucks and have had 3 new F150's since then. Anyway, I finally bought an 86 GT with T-tops, 5.0 and 5spd. The car I've wanted forever. I'm ready to build the motor and just wanted to get some ideas.

I'm looking to get in the 400HP range with the car. I'm keeping the interior stock as well as the body, tranny and rear. I'm gonna strip the motor and have the bottom end done at a local shop. Whats a good starting point for the bottom end so I can later do heads, intake and other stuff to attain 400HP? Would a .030 over work or should I go more? What about a Cam?

My ultimate goal is to have a nice street legal car that makes some good power. But still be able to drive it whenever and wherever?

Any help, suggestions and ideas will be greatly appreciated.:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

i have a feeling the consensus here is to go331 or 347 stroker for those numbers. Are you wanting to stay n/a? also that t-5 will have issues with 400 hp pushing it. probably have to beef it up condiserably or go tko 500.

You can do 400 HP on a 306 with not much of an issue. You'll need to make sure your local shop is competant. Tell them you want main studs installed and see if they tell you an align home is necessary. If they say it's not or don't quote you that cost find another shop.

On the bottom end you can use hyper pistons, if you never plan on spraying, and you'll want ARP rod bolts and main studs installed . Ask to see what the cost will be to install the bolts and resize the rods as it is sometimes cheaper just to replace them.

It's easier to make it to your goal with a 347 but you can do it and be very street friendly in a 306.

As far as a cam goes you didn't specify the heads you plan on using and the rest of the induction so a recommendation can't be given.

The stock T5 will live behind your ultimate goal if you don't plan on launching it on sticky tires at the strip. It doesn't seem like low ET is a concern of yours but I may be reading into your post. I would recommend at least 373 gears though.

blue--- My plan is to stay n/a at this time. The only thing I have considered is maybe a supercharger. But that would be a long time from now.

Brian--- I guess my ultimate goal is to have a car that has good power and is pretty quick. I'm sure I'll take it down the track a few times just to see what times I can make, but I don't plan on being there and racing it every weekend. So no, ET is not my first priority. Although I would love a 10sec car, thats not what I'm after right now.

As for the top end I was planning on some GT40 heads and either a BBK or Trick flow upper and lower intake. I know that's probably what everyone else does, but again, I'm not looking to build a race car. Just something that's fast enough to have some fun in.

I honestly don't know much about cams. I used to have an idea on how they work as far as timing and lobe and lift and all that but it's been so long since I messed with any of that ya know!!??

A few concerns about the stroker are that I hear the 347 has oil consumption issues. Is this true? Is doing a 331 worth the money? Will I get enough power out of it or am I better off doing a 306 and building the top end?

I know i'm full of questions but I want to make sure I do this right the first time. Oh and the shop that I'll most likely be using is called Radical Racing in Atco NJ. All they do is Mustangs and they have a really good reputation around here.

If you can understand what I'm trying to accomplish with this car, please let me know if I'm headed in the right direction or if I should do something different to get the HP im looking for.

Thanks again!!

block wise peeps will tell you it costs the same to build a 306 than a 331. which is true for the main block purposes. but you wouldnt put stock e-7 heads on a stroked 331 kinda kills the whole thing I would think. so you would be out some more for higher flowing heads/cam/intake to match the stroker.

you are gonna start a war in here with the 347 oil consumption bit LOL. people go back and forth in here on that issue. my take is, a properly built 347 will last just as long as a 331.

my plans are not much different than yours except I dont expect to see 400hp. I plan on a 306 rebuild with either ported e7 heads or some gt40s and a gt40 intake. possible s/c as well. I plan on running a cast crank though.

I am sure in the morning more people will chime in with the 331 vs 347 bit as well. I think for 400 hp on a 306 will be tough with just gt40 heads but I also dont build engines for a living. I agree with the 373s though. good luck
Jon

Are we talking 400rwhp? Not gonna happen with a N/A 306. What's your budget? A stroker build is gonna cost some. Figure out what you want to spend. Spraying would be the cheapest way. The T5 may hold if you don't plan on powershifting.

My post said 400rwhp. Most people, when speaking of HP, usually mean HP measured AT THE WHEELS. In which case, slapping on a set of heads and rockers, I don't care what brand, won't get a 302/306 in the 400rwhp range in a mustang.

Really, crank and at the wheels are different?Really? So if you lose 15% in drivetrain losses and put a cam in it,you should put around 400 to the wheels.Not to difficult to figure out is it? Well maybe it is.........................for some.The original poster is looking to make around 400hp,thats one example of a n/a set up thats not to hard to duplicate.sAying theres ''NO WAY'' to make 400hp from a 306 is kinda retarded.

WOW, didn't mean to start a war here guys..sorry.:D

If attaining 400hp is, lets say, not totally out of reach, but not so realistic with a n/a 302. What should I expect if I bore .030 over, do GT40 heads, Trick flow upper and lower intake, a cam and some headers and exhaust and maybe a few other bolt ons like throttle body and pulleys?

As for my budget....it's not unlimited, but I'm hoping I can get a decent motor and exhaust in the $4000 range.

I've been reading so much it's all starting to blur together. Like I said before..I'm keeping the interior and body stock. I want a nice car I can drive everyday if I feel like it, but want some good power and torque. I really need to decide where I want to be at the end of the build so I don't do something wrong and have to rip it apart and do it all over again.

Rick James..where in Jersey are you?

.030 over is fine,if it needs it .There is so many combinatons out there its hard to just name one set up.I would just make sure it has a forged bottom end.As far as the top end i would call Flowtech Induction or Camshaft Innovation or another professional that can get you squared away.Oh and i am from the Union area.

.030 over is fine,if it needs it .There is so many combinatons out there its hard to just name one set up.I would just make sure it has a forged bottom end.As far as the top end i would call Flowtech Induction or Camshaft Innovation or another professional that can get you squared away.Oh and i am from the Union area.

Rick, thanks for the help. I'm gonna give the guys at Radical Racing in ATCO a visit and see what they can do for me. I think as long as I have a strong bottom end, I can build the top end however I want pretty much.

Oh, I'm way down south, Cape May area. Do you ever take the car to the Wildwood show in the summer?

WOW, didn't mean to start a war here guys..sorry.:D

If attaining 400hp is, lets say, not totally out of reach, but not so realistic with a n/a 302. What should I expect if I bore .030 over, do GT40 heads, Trick flow upper and lower intake, a cam and some headers and exhaust and maybe a few other bolt ons like throttle body and pulleys?

As for my budget....it's not unlimited, but I'm hoping I can get a decent motor and exhaust in the $4000 range.

maybe 300, 320 to the wheels.

Sorry, but a near stock 306 is nothing special. Here is what I would do. Try to find some mild yet CHEAP heads like gt40 iron ones. Find a cheap explorer intake. Buy a used S-Trim, slam 14psi through those heads/intake and you'll be around 400rwhp, which is your goal.

8psi on a factory longblock will put down 350ish alone. Hell, you could probably hit 400 to the tires with 14psi into the stock heads.

sAying theres ''NO WAY'' to make 400hp from a 306 is kinda retarded.

Were those my words? Sure, on an engine dyno, with near perfect conditions, and an engine tuned to the brink of destruction, might yield those results, but are these real world scenarios? NO! There's not one guy in here with an HCI 306 making anywhere near 400rwhp. Maybe 320 or so, as Kevin pointed out.

Were those my words? Sure, on an engine dyno, with near perfect conditions, and an engine tuned to the brink of destruction, might yield those results, but are these real world scenarios? NO! There's not one guy in here with an HCI 306 making anywhere near 400rwhp. Maybe 320 or so, as Kevin pointed out.

Yup, huge heads, custom cam, ported intake, tuned for hours, etc it MIGHT hit 400rwhp.

For someone to simply toss random heads, cam, and intake at a 306, and have Joe Blow tune it, you won't see more than 320 MAX!

However, as I pointed out, 8psi on a factory built, valve cover never been off, 302 will make anywhere from 320-370 depending on the tune. Up the boost some more, and there ya go, 400rwhp. Thats when you get to enjoy slipping clutching, and blowing 3rd gear in your t5.

Ah, the constant battle with these cars.