Good mechanic in Southern California?

Frank.Rizzo

Dec 23, 2003
Central Oregon
Can anyone suggest a good, honest performance shop, other than GRC or XMP, in or around central Orange County (Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach, etc.,) that does quality aftermarket service and installation on Mustangs?

Has anyone ever gone to Fairway Ford in Placentia or Brothers Performance? I would like to hear your opinions. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

BBK doesnt do installs but kevin murphy (brother to one of the owners of bbk) does do installs. He's right down the street bbk is on (railroad). I've worked with kevin as a employee off and on helping him, hes a good guy, honest and does a excellent job. He's located in corona off the 91 freeway, here's his number: 909-279-6411. tell him chris gave you the number, he'll probably give you discount on labor :)

What kind of work are you trying to get done???

Fairway ford in yorbalinda is a dealer, and they have a high performance shop. I would certainly trust a high perf ford dealer to work on my own car.

FYI, I do all my own work, that is why I asked what you were trying to get done.

kslushy said:
B&D racing is a great place: http://www.bdracing.net

Just wondering... why not xmp?

Sorry - I passed out last night. I haven't had any personal experience with XMP, they are just a little far for me. I actually need some engine repair work done right now, but I want to find a shop that has a lot of experience working on Mustangs and can do both repairs or performance upgrades and do them right the first time. I hate having to go back 2 or 3 times to have something done right. It pisses me off.

Kevin Murphy kinda jacked me over on a regear deal. The gears on my cobra whined after i took it in to have it regeared. I brought the car back and told him what was up. He was like "ohh yea, I was outta town and the kid that did your gears was NOT supposed to do them". So he charged me $50 more to go back in there and readjust some stuff, even though it wasnt my damn fault. And to this day the gears still whine. So I have a new set of 3.55s sitting here and Im not going to take my car to Kevin Murphy so his shop can f--k these gears up too. Drivetrain Direct did my Bronco and the work was more money, but great so Im taking my cobra there for the rearend rebuild.

Thanks for the response!

thinker said:
BBK doesnt do installs but kevin murphy (brother to one of the owners of bbk) does do installs. He's right down the street bbk is on (railroad). I've worked with kevin as a employee off and on helping him, hes a good guy, honest and does a excellent job. He's located in corona off the 91 freeway, here's his number: 909-279-6411. tell him chris gave you the number, he'll probably give you discount on labor :)

Great information. Thanks to all of you - kslushy, RydeOn, thinker and v8only for the replies. FYI - I have a spark knock that I can't get rid of right now, so I want someone that is familiar with Mustangs to look at it. In addition, I am going to be doing some engine and exhaust upgrades after I fix this knock and wanted to find a shop that I could form a relationship with that is capable of doing quality repair work AND performance work.

Thanks again you guys - any other suggestions are always welcome!

Frank.Rizzo said:
Can anyone suggest a good, honest performance shop, other than GRC or XMP, in or around central Orange County (Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach, etc.,) that does quality aftermarket service and installation on Mustangs?

Has anyone ever gone to Fairway Ford in Placentia or Brothers Performance? I would like to hear your opinions. Thanks!
Hey Frank,this is a long shot,but where are you from?

kslushy said:
I just realized B&D is a bit farther than what you asked for.

Try Chicane: http://www.chicanesport.com, I was slightly dissatisfied with their phone rep, but their facility looks good. I decided to hold up for a bit with my suspension, so I have no experience with their actual service however.

edited to make link work.
I've been there, their service is top notch. :nice: I do agree with the phone rep part though. :D Plus, you can play playstation 2 on a big screen while you wait. :banana:

SN95StangMan - if you see this . . .

:lol:
SN95StangMan said:
I've been there, their service is top notch. :nice: I do agree with the phone rep part though. :D Plus, you can play playstation 2 on a big screen while you wait. :banana:

Hey SN95StangMAn - do you have any pictures of your car? I just bought a stock '94 GT and you have several mods I have been considering, including the Borla/SVO side exhaust.

I live in Southern California as well and would also be interested in hearing if you have been able to pass smog with the side exhaust and the Bassani X-Pipe. Also, if you have any dyno numbers on your current set-up.

Thanks!