• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Got a weird question!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter MUSTANGJOE
  • Start date Start date Mar 16, 2007
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last

MUSTANGJOE

Silver Stanger
Founding Member
Apr 9, 2002
1,644
17
59
Mar 16, 2007
#1
  • Mar 16, 2007
  • #1
hey guys!

Im looking into buying this 90 Gt vert, I asked the owner if it was an original 5-speed or if it was converted to one. He told me in those years 89-90 i believe all the verts were automatic and the inly way you can get a 5-speed if it was converted into one by the dealer or a shop!

I thought I knew everything there is to know about the 87-93 models but this is new to me! So were there any factory built 5-speed verts or does this guy not know what hes talking about!

Thanks

Joe P.
 

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
5,232
2,652
223
gainesville
Mar 16, 2007
#2
  • Mar 16, 2007
  • #2
I know that there werent that many 5 speed verts made, but I am sure that there were some.
 

MUSTANGJOE

Silver Stanger
Founding Member
Apr 9, 2002
1,644
17
59
Mar 18, 2007
#3
  • Mar 18, 2007
  • #3
 

grey5.0beast

Cookies should never be DUNKED!!!
Aug 3, 2004
0
1
0
atl ga
Mar 18, 2007
#4
  • Mar 18, 2007
  • #4
mine is!
 

Lemonade

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2000
827
0
16
San Ramon,CA
Mar 18, 2007
#5
  • Mar 18, 2007
  • #5
I believe it was just the opposite, there were more 5 spds available than AOD; I had to special order my car with an AOD.

Lems
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,342
18,072
224
Massachusetts
Mar 18, 2007
#6
  • Mar 18, 2007
  • #6
Yes you could get a factory 5-spd in a convertible...although i beleive most came AOD.

I beleive the door tag can tell you if it's original or not. What is the letter under TRANS
 

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
2,487
4
0
Miami, Ok
Mar 18, 2007
#7
  • Mar 18, 2007
  • #7
an easy way to tell if its a 5spd or AOD car, look at the gas pedal. if it has a curve to it, its a 5 speed car, if the pedal is straight its an AOD car. unless someone went around swapping the gas pedals which i doubt happens much...

the cobras and SVOs were all 5 speeds. i dont know anything about the early fox body cobras and such.

but all your regular model GT, LX and etc could have had either. no model has only 1 type of transmission. some years some models had more AODs or more t5s but its all in just who ordered them.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,342
18,072
224
Massachusetts
Mar 18, 2007
#8
  • Mar 18, 2007
  • #8
Look at the door tag sticker on the drivers door.

Look for TR on the sticker. That's the transmission code

If it says "2", it means it was a factory 5-spd trans

If it says "T", then it was an AOD from the factory
 
T

tricked92gt

New Member
Jan 22, 2007
2
0
0
Mar 18, 2007
#9
  • Mar 18, 2007
  • #9
i believe all factory 5 speeds have a button under steering column that you have to press in order to get keys out
 

Chuckman

GTFO you fat, heavy bastard
15 Year Member
Oct 21, 2005
1,604
1,002
173
st. louis, mo
Mar 18, 2007
#10
  • Mar 18, 2007
  • #10
tricked92gt said:
i believe all factory 5 speeds have a button under steering column that you have to press in order to get keys out
Click to expand...

both my aod and t5 cars have/had that button, so thats not it. trans code in the door plate is the easiest way to tell. vin may also have that info, cant remember.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,342
18,072
224
Massachusetts
Mar 18, 2007
#11
  • Mar 18, 2007
  • #11
tricked92gt said:
i believe all factory 5 speeds have a button under steering column that you have to press in order to get keys out
Click to expand...


AOD cars have that button as well, up til 1991 i beleive.

My '88 has it
 

mustanggt5pt0

New Member
Sep 27, 2004
34
0
0
Cedar Falls, Iowa
Mar 18, 2007
#12
  • Mar 18, 2007
  • #12
I hate that button.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,342
18,072
224
Massachusetts
Mar 18, 2007
#13
  • Mar 18, 2007
  • #13
The newer Mustangs have it too, but you only need one hand to hit the button and take the key out.

On the fox you need two
 

Roland69

Sergeant Tangnet
Sep 17, 2005
2,867
3
58
Port Elgin, Ontario
Mar 18, 2007
#14
  • Mar 18, 2007
  • #14
my 88 has the button...But thete is a way to tell with the vin if it was a AOD or 5 speed
 
R

riverviewnative

New Member
Mar 26, 2006
24
0
0
Mar 18, 2007
#15
  • Mar 18, 2007
  • #15
I have on 89 with a factory five speed.
 

grey5.0beast

Cookies should never be DUNKED!!!
Aug 3, 2004
0
1
0
atl ga
Mar 18, 2007
#16
  • Mar 18, 2007
  • #16
I don't mind the button,I am used to it and don't even think about it anymore,as it is my DD. But what is it for??? Like what is the reason?
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,342
18,072
224
Massachusetts
Mar 19, 2007
#17
  • Mar 19, 2007
  • #17
grey5.0beast said:
I don't mind the button,I am used to it and don't even think about it anymore,as it is my DD. But what is it for??? Like what is the reason?
Click to expand...



Prevent the key from being turned back to the postion that will cause the steering wheel to lock.

Like if your drunk buddy reaches over and pulls the keys out while you are doing 50MPH then your wheel locks and you crash.


Apparently, they tend to do this a lot in Mustangs as ive never seen it in other cars
 

Prime Lord

Crappy Default Title
Founding Member
Sep 19, 2000
2,137
199
114
Denver-ish
Mar 19, 2007
#18
  • Mar 19, 2007
  • #18
hooray for threadjacks!

the button isn't just a Stang thing, its just an 80's-90's Ford thing. 88 Escort I drive at work has one. I just cut the button out of my Stang though. It was really easy to do and hooray for no more key buttons!
 

MUSTANGJOE

Silver Stanger
Founding Member
Apr 9, 2002
1,644
17
59
Mar 19, 2007
#19
  • Mar 19, 2007
  • #19
Thanks guys...

I will keep all this info in mind!

Also do you think its a bad thing if it was converted?

Also why does ebay make almost every stang listed an automatic if it is a 5-speed?

Thanks?

Joe P.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,342
18,072
224
Massachusetts
Mar 19, 2007
#20
  • Mar 19, 2007
  • #20
MUSTANGJOE said:
Thanks guys...

I will keep all this info in mind!

Also do you think its a bad thing if it was converted?

Also why does ebay make almost every stang listed an automatic if it is a 5-speed?

Thanks?

Joe P.
Click to expand...


If converted correctly, it's just as good as a factory job. Up to you to determine if it was done well.


Ebay's default setting for transmission is Automatic. Sometimes people forget to change this
 
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Motor mounts question
  • djj62478
  • Mar 18, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
15
Views
651
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 13, 2026
nickyb
B
A/C Issues
  • Boats90GT
  • Jun 10, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
165
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 11, 2026
Mcmahst
G
Fox Tire Size for 16" Pony Wheels on 1984 LX Convertible
  • gw7
  • Jun 24, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
182
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 25, 2026
Qtrhrse23
S
Fox '87 GT can't get to stay running
  • spilly
  • Mar 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
27
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
spilly
S
Progress Thread Progress Thread- From6to8's 95 GT/Saleen Supercharged 331 install
  • from6to8
  • Mar 22, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
27
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 28, 2026
from6to8
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?