got the oil pan off but........

68GEETEE

5 Year Member
Nov 21, 2003
Texas, USA
lots of junk at the bottom of the pan, including a chunk of metal that I have no idea what it is.

http://ml.truckmoxie.com/gallery/68GEETEE/95790.jpg

Should I put the pan and new gasket back on, or do I have a serious problem? THe oil pressure gauge showed plenty of pressure, no funny noises coming from the motor, so I dont think there was any major damage. This all started because I dropped the oil pump shaft into the pan while trying to reposition the distributor :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Take a close look upwards at the piston skirts, and see if one's missing a peice.
Me?......I would reinstall the pan after a close inspection with a strong light. Make sure all the rod bolts and nuts look good, and maybe fish a magnet around the oil pump pick-up screen. If nothing was found....close 'er up.
I don't get too surprised anymore when I find stuff like that in the pan.
Now if it was a race or strip car only... different story.

You will be OK. It is amazing what you can find in there.

After last season I found a sheet metal screw and no one could figure where it came from. Turned out to be from the baffle in my valve cover.

Next time you have those covers off, use some "threadlocker" on the baffle screws. Also, if you oil pan has baffles that are in place with screws, squirt a little "threadlocker" on them also.

Neat stuff................

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com