Has anyone here switched out their shocks/struts before?

32ValveRom

Feb 15, 2009
Fl
I ordered a set of Tokicos a while ago and they finally came in. So i plan on taking some time off this weekend to install. I was just wondering about how long does it usually take to switch out shocks and struts and is there anything I should know. I haven't done this before.

• Sponsors (?)

I did this about a year and a half ago. It's not too overly complicated; the front is probably the worst of the two ends. It's basically just unbolting them from their mounts. Just watch the springs...let them decompress SLOWLY. You certainly don't want to let those go too quickly and come flying out at you!

It took me and a buddy the better part of an afternoon for that project, but I was also replacing the front brakes at the time.

Once you have the new shocks in, be sure to go get an alignment shortly thereafter.

A second on the air tools, here...

I didn't have them when I put in my shocks/struts and I had major issues trying to get the shaft of the stock struts to stay while breaking loose the nut on the end of those factory struts. I was putting in MM CC plates at the time, and that was by far the hardest thing I have done in my own history of modding my car.

Honestly though, still wasn't all that hard. Just took an extra hour or two to figure out how to do it. Not a real biggie, in the grand scheme of things.

Bear in mind my car had the ORIGINAL struts on a '00 GT and I changed them out in '08. That is WAY TOO LONG. Could have been why those poor nuts were such a PITA.

Yep, air tools are a must. The strut nut is a PITA without air tools. Since you are not changing the springs you do not need to let the suspension completly drop. Once the car is in the air and on jack stands with the wheels off you disconnect the sway bar end links up front and unbolt the bracket for the brake lines to the chasis.Put your jack under the lower controll arm and take the stress off the end link first though. Then you take off the big strut nut and slowly lower the jack. You only need to drop it enough to get the strut out so you can just grab the strut and compress it and quickly move it out from the wheel well. The rears are very easy and you just put the jack under the pumpkin to controll the drop.

First time took me 3 hours cause I was taking my time and making sure I was doing it right. The next time it took me just over 1.5 hours. :nice:

Don't neccessarily need air tools, but they would have helped. Just did the shocks and struts on a 2000 GT I just got. Rear shocks were a little easier than the front struts. On the rear shocks use a Vice grip on the flats at the top of the shock if you don't want to by the tool they make to hold the shaft in place. On the front struts be smart and and take the top nut off first before you jack the car up and tackle the bottom two bolts.

It's an easy job... took me about 2 hours(installing springs and struts.)

Like Laser said, if you are just doing the struts themselves there is no need to completely decompress the suspension.

Oh, and if you try to pay real close attention to where the bottom strut bolts were positioned, you might get the alignment pretty close to the way it was before you started(assuming it was aligned correctly in the first place.)

Good luck!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the helpful input. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have access to any air tools but we'll see how it goes.

Anyone know why this thread says it's been moved?

I did my rears and attempted the fronts with out air tools. Needless to say the fronts still aren't done. Waiting on an air compressor for them. I also have CC plates to do. The rears are a joke they're so easy