Have old Tamiya R/C cars from the 80s?

reenmachine

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
San Diego, CA
I was way into Tamiya R/C off-road buggies in the early 80s when I was a kid. My parents, once they saw my interest, really encouraged me to build them, modify them, and fix them when I inevitably broke them. It's a big part of what made me into a wrench-turner and stuck with me for life (for better or worse :D).

Anyway, I've sort of rediscovered them lately and I'm looking for old used Tamiya buggies to restore. Anyone have one in the basement? I'm willing to pay a fair price.

Examples: Sand Scorcher (the Baja Bug), Grasshopper, Hornet, Wild One, Bigwig, Fox. Those are the ones I had so they're the ones I crave, but I'm interested in others as well.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Man, I remember RC cars well. In the late '80's I had a black '65 fastback, and a matching 1/10 scale black '65 fastback body on my BoLink pavement car. The I bought an RC-10 off road car, but later sold them both at a yard sale for about 1/20th of what I had in them.

I've purchased my son a 1/10 XXX-t and a 1/18 mini-t....we have a local club the has a rookie class for both scale trucks to run. It's a riot watching the kids "hone" their skills on the ovals...during the winter they run on the indoor facility and during the rest of the year they have a dirt oval. Not sure which is more addicting, the Mustang on the RC cars???

In the past year there has been a flood of 1/10 gas sprint cars built on carbon fiber chassis plates with very cool roll cages and wings..

Thanks Reen....now I know where we'll be on Saturday afternoon from 3pm-???:D

I still have a few...one Blackfoot truck, two Ultima trucks (one stock, one modified), two Toyota Celicas w-4wd, RC10 with Honda Accord body setup for pavement, Traxxus monster truck, another Kyosho monster truck (don't remember which), electric plane, electric Cesa offshore race boat, original Kyosho elec. motorcycle, and a Coyote off road buggy....and enough parts to probably build 4 more. Now I definitely have too many hobbies;)

I too am plagued by this need to play with miniature cars. lol I just bought a Ofna Nitro 1/8th scale buggy the thing is scary fast. Bought the wife a 1/5th scale gasoline powered monster truck. It will run about 35 40 mph and run for about 2 hours on a tank of weed eater gas. It is a lot of fun I am not sure she has even got to drive her toy lol

88GT we may run into you some time we live over in Skiatook. Thinking about getting the boys one of those 1/18 sprint cars or the monster bug

I too am plagued by this need to play with miniature cars. lol I just bought a Ofna Nitro 1/8th scale buggy the thing is scary fast. Bought the wife a 1/5th scale gasoline powered monster truck. It will run about 35 40 mph and run for about 2 hours on a tank of weed eater gas. It is a lot of fun I am not sure she has even got to drive her toy lol

88GT we may run into you some time we live over in Skiatook. Thinking about getting the boys one of those 1/18 sprint cars or the monster bug

I've gotta see that 1/5 truck run!!!!:eek:

It's cool to here some guys my age assuming (34 or so) that still like these things. I have a super black foot that I race my boy on his tractor (Battery powered he's 3) and he loves driving it at the house. Great way to spend time with the kids. Plus Gives me a reason to keep some of my old toys...lol

It's cool to here some guys my age assuming (34 or so) that still like these things. I have a super black foot that I race my boy on his tractor (Battery powered he's 3) and he loves driving it at the house. Great way to spend time with the kids. Plus Gives me a reason to keep some of my old toys...lol
Yep! I'm 35 so we got into these things in the same era. My kids are way too little yet, but I'm going to get my nephew into it this summer. I'm getting him the re-released Grasshopper kit so he can start the exact same way I did. The Grasshopper's simplicity makes it a great first-time build and leaves the door wide open for tons of future mods as he progresses (and breaks stuff).

I just decided to get into the nitro cars....Im waiting on UPS to deliver one like this right now! Its supposed to go 65 mph!

RDSC00367.jpg

Later.

Yeah 36,000 to 40,000 rpms passes are wicked sounding. My buggy is a very loud .28 motor. The truck sounds like a weed eater though. I have to fix the rear diff in the buggy already lol. the truck still going strong.

88gt the Mustang1 boys may be meeting up in April at the track so if they do I will keep you posted. I hope to have mine going and I could bring the Toys as well lol.

Yeah 36,000 to 40,000 rpms passes are wicked sounding. My buggy is a very loud .28 motor. The truck sounds like a weed eater though. I have to fix the rear diff in the buggy already lol. the truck still going strong.

88gt the Mustang1 boys may be meeting up in April at the track so if they do I will keep you posted. I hope to have mine going and I could bring the Toys as well lol.

definitely let me know...thanks!!