Have you guys ever heard of a spark plug being blown out of a head?

• Sponsors (?)

happened to me about 10k miles ago with 26k on the car, stock plugs...ford said it wasnt thier fault even tho the plugs hadnt been changed...i said **** off and heli-coiled it with the head in the car...then blew the shavings out with an air compressor....10k later and its fine, i check it once a week and it hasnt budged...

This is a common problem with modular engine family, V-10, 4.6, 5.4, and the 5.4 lightning engine up to 2003. The heads prior to 03 has 2-3 threads holding the plug in, 2003 and newer have double the amount of threads, the problem has gone away. Get on fords case, it is there problem, they know about it as they have an updated design.

I have never had a blow out problem, but a couple of my plugs loosen themselves! It sucks, Im so tired of retorquing them all the time. I have the newer long thread style that bullitt archive recommended, but I still have problems. I took it into the dealership to have them check it out and they said the thread in the heads are perfect...ah well in a couple months it will be MPH stage 2.5 head time for me :)

trailblazr81 said:
I really dont like the idea of drilling and tapping the head while on the engine. That means aluminum shavings are going into the cylinder. And that cant be good...

While doing research I've found out that if you will fill the tap with grease before use the grease will catch most if not all of the filings, nifty trick.

How did you not know that your spark plug was blown out? I blew one out of my car a few months ago. 1 month after ford swap my plugs. But when I threw a plug my car barely ran. But Ford covered mine under extended warranty.

But if Ford was $3300+ to fix it, look for a used Corbra motor and drop that in.

I am not an expert but just my 2 cents.

~K

2002GreyGT said:
How did you not know that your spark plug was blown out? I blew one out of my car a few months ago. 1 month after ford swap my plugs. But when I threw a plug my car barely ran. But Ford covered mine under extended warranty.

But if Ford was $3300+ to fix it, look for a used Corbra motor and drop that in.

I am not an expert but just my 2 cents.

~K

When the plug blew out I shut the car down, so I didn't have much to go on, I had no idea that this could ever happen. So when I saw the thread about intake problems I thought it might be that. I've never cracked an intake or thrown a plug, so I don't have a lot of experiance to go on.
I agree that the cobra motor would be the better option, but if I had $3300 to pull out of my ars and toss out the front door then I wouldn't be on here chatting with you fine folks trying to figure out another option.

ford recently shiped us a special kit for rethreading these heads. it's a helicoil sytle repair kit but i does not leave that metal tang at the bottom of the hole. so this repair kit should not cause pre ignition problems like a standard helicoil. so far i have used it twice. once on a 5.4 and onceon a 24 valve taurus

Oh, this is great! I had not heard of this before. I'm glad you folks put this one up so when I change plugs, I'll be REALLY careful and torque according to specs.
This happened to me once with a '72 Super Beetle back in '85 and quickly ended my foray into the European world. Sold that piece of crap and got a '79 F150 (300 I-6, C6 tranny and 3:73's --Sweet)! Screw the gas use, I didn't break down every other week any longer.

Another victim.

Also another happy time-sert user. Houston Performance will put one in at a good price.

Mabye next time Ford will use the proper number of threads in the head perhaps? There was rumor of a class action not too long ago, I wonder what became of all that...

Red35th said:
Another victim.

Also another happy time-sert user. Houston Performance will put one in at a good price.

Mabye next time Ford will use the proper number of threads in the head perhaps? There was rumor of a class action not too long ago, I wonder what became of all that...

the time sert kit works good. we are using a similar setup now. instead of replacing a head now in a hour or two depening on the car your back on the road :D

This kind of makes me scared to change my plugs and I work at a ford dealership I deatil cars.. I have the plus here in my room part #AGSF32FM..I would hate for this to happen to my car.. Wouldnt you be albe to tell that ur car has blown a sparkplug out I would think it would miss alittle or something...

Cantslowdown said:
Wouldnt you be albe to tell that ur car has blown a sparkplug out I would think it would miss alittle or something...

The motor sounds like an old dump truck or a top fuel dragster, but with no power. Trust me you'll know if it happens to you. We have Superduty trucks at work with the v10 and several have blown out plugs, seems to be pretty common with the v10 motors anyway...

I have a question about checking the plugs. On my 04 GT the fuel rail looks like it's only half an inch off the top of the COP on both sides of the motor, is this enough room to pull the COP's off or do you have to remove the fuel rail ? My motor's got 3200 miles on it, I'd like to check the plugs just for peace of mind....