Headlights

Supp22

Sep 30, 2017
Has anyone ordered any aftermarket lights that are worth anything??
I ordered a LED conversion kit from American Muscle, my stock halogens were better!!
So then I tried a 35 watt Canbus HID, from Protuninglab, absolutely horrible!!
Anybody have anything out there that actually helps see better at night than the stock headlights?
I haven't thought about the projector types because I really like the stock big headlight look.

• Sponsors (?)

Supp22,

Two things have greatly improved my stock halogen headlights: a wiring harness (Putco 239008HW wiring harness - it has relays, heavy gauge wiring, and sends full battery voltage to the light bulbs) and aiming the lights up a tad (because the car is lowered). Much better. The harness is not expensive at about $60. I got some split harness wrap and took off the bright yellow plastic wrap that the harness comes with. Took me a couple of hours to install, working at a snail's pace and being careful to run the new harness so it looks stock.

You can get retrofit kits for halogen projectors and HID projectors. There's a fellow on another forum who makes halogen-to-HID wiring harnesses and retrofits projectors into halogen housings. Stock HID lights are pricey but, if cost is no object, OEM is the way to go.

HTH,

Chris

Red_LX,

Agreed about HID bulbs in halogen housings is just wrong. I should have said that an HID assembly (reflector, bulb) can be retrofit into a former halogen housing. The HID kit has the proper reflector so oncoming drivers are not blinded. There's a fellow in TX who does these retrofits and he also makes plug-and-play harnesses if an owner wants to replace the whole halogen headlight assembly with an OEM HID assembly ($$). Seems that F-150 owners seem to do this more than Mustang owners.

Chris