Hello, I need help.

bowtiebuckeye

Apr 27, 2009
I have this friend, who is a Mustang guy, talked me into buying a 1999 GT for 800 dollars. I was told the only problem with the car was a a knock that came from the valve train. I have always been a truck guy, never much into cars, but i thought that this was a good deal. I picked up the car today, its a beautiful candy apple red, with only a tiny scratch on the drivers side. The interior is in pretty good shape, from the outside in, it looks like a steal. After starting the car we relized that I had a huge problem. From the sounds of it I think it has a bad rod bearing. So here I am, a truck guy looking at a 4.6 I have to rebuild while living in Germany. $hit. Never mind the fact that my mustang buddy is PCS'ing back to the states next month. I have no ides where to begin except from the bottom up. I am not looking to make it a drag car. I want it to be my hot rod for the rest of my life, so I want to do it right. Any advice?

PS Dont take the Bowtie handle as a slam, I have 2 Chevy trucks (88 Suburban and a 76 C-10 limited edition, but to stay level, I bought a 93 Bronco)

• Sponsors (?)

There are a bunch of companies that sell bottom ends and if your mechanicall inclined you can do the work yourself. You should start by tearing it apart to find out exactly what the problem is first though.

I would love to completly rebuild it myself. The huge problem I have is that I am stationed in Germany. I want to start from the bottom up. I need ideas about everything, starting with the crank and pistons. I am doing research myself, but I always like taking advice.