help diagnosing friend's 88 coupe

cenok is family

15 Year Member
Jun 25, 2003
Norman, Ok
well i have a buddy with a stock 5 speed 88 coupe. ex-texas highway patrol car that's pretty much stock (has 3.73's, 2.5" H pipe, spintech mufflers). well he blew the motor a few years back and had a shop rebuild it. ran great for the first year or so, but has since slowly been turning into a dog. runs slow as crap now. sounds great, nice and healthy and idles smooth as silk. but any sort of throttle what-so-ever and it's slower than my 95 buick century. i found and fixed a few vac leaks, checked fp, pulled vacuum...everything's fine. i'm 100% positive it's sensor related. pulled his ect and act sensors, both need to be replaced, especially the act; it was covered with oil. i cleaned it with carb cleaner (i know it's not the best thing to do to a sensor but i figured it could only help) and it helped some, doesn't fall on its face so hard now, but i know there's still more there. before he blew the motor, he ran a 13.7 at the track with the same mods. what do you guys think? i'm going to tell him to change the ACT, ECT and o2's. anything else i should check? oh and i tried to pull the codes and got nothing.

he used to be a member here, he's since pretty much lost any interest in doing anything with the car right now, but says he's never going to let it go so hopefully he'll get her looking and running good again soon. here's the car...

camerons_car.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

You pulled the codes and got nothing. Does that mean you didn't get the 11 system passed, or you ddn't even get an 11?

Did you get the engine running codes?

I didn't do the koer codes. Never done them before, how do I do it?

Install the jumper or code scanner, put the trans in neutral, turn the A/C off and start the engine. The CEL wiil flash a 4, then do some diagnostic checks to see if it can control the idle speed and EGR. Then it will dump the engine running codes.