• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Help finding this wire

  • Thread starter Thread starter ram360
  • Start date Start date Dec 25, 2008

ram360

Founding Member
Oct 19, 2002
2,162
1
59
Pennsylvania
Dec 25, 2008
#1
  • Dec 25, 2008
  • #1
I'm hooking up a car alarm to my 94gt. I need to find the wire that is for the trunk pin-(the pin goes to ground when the trunk is open) so it's a negative trigger for my alarm. Anybody know what the color is? I don't even know if I have a trunk pin, I don't have a trunk light? I found the black/pink wire is for the trunk trigger but it is a + trigger (from what I've read) and I need a - trigger. Anybody know if the black/pink is indeed the right wire to use or some other. I have no clue.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Dec 25, 2008
#2
  • Dec 25, 2008
  • #2
I'd just use a relay to convert the negative-polarity trunk-output (from your alarm) to the positive needed to pop your trunk.

An example of how to wire a SPDT or SPST relay:

30 and 86: fused battery power.

85: the alarm's negative alarm output for the trunk.

87: connect this to the output side of the factory trunk switch (the wire that gets power when the trunk button is pushed).

What will happen is that when 85 gets momentary ground from the alarm brain, 30 and 87 connect, sending battery power to your trunk popper.
 

ram360

Founding Member
Oct 19, 2002
2,162
1
59
Pennsylvania
Dec 25, 2008
#3
  • Dec 25, 2008
  • #3
thanks hissin, it already has another wire coming from the alarm that taps into purple/yellow wire from the trunk popper button (glove box). I'd rather just find a negative trigger if at all possible, but I really don't see a wire that goes to ground when the trunk opens (negative trigger) I looked in my haynes manual schematic. If not will that relay idea still work w/ the alarm tapped into the purple/yellow?
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Dec 25, 2008
#4
  • Dec 25, 2008
  • #4
Assuming no factory keyless or alarm (for simplicity), there is no negative trigger.

Most alarm trunk popper circuits will have a 200-500 mA negative output, which is only enough to energize a relay, not act as a power ground for the popper. Said another way, you need the relay anyways.

Wiring up the relay will take 5 mins.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Resolved Wiring electric fan
  • cbac89
  • Aug 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
167
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
cbac89
C
Electrical HELP! 1989 5.0 Stick, Voltage Bleed onto Ignition Trigger wire
  • ChickenDeluxe
  • May 14, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
309
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 24, 2026
ChickenDeluxe
C
3
Electrical Starter solenoid out of space?
  • 387lx
  • Jan 22, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
430
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 23, 2026
387lx
3
2
Resolved Electrical mayhem
  • 2000ElectricGreen
  • Mar 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
381
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 4, 2026
2000ElectricGreen
2
T
Electrical Brown Connector #31
  • ta66
  • Jul 26, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
154
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 30, 2026
ta66
T
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?