help! fuel problem?

trlps_

Feb 25, 2020
Houston
so ive been having this problem for little around a week now and cant figure out what it could be, driving feels like almost to no acceleration on top of coming to a red light from time to time the car dies and has a long time to start back up. when trying to start the car it sounds like what it would be when theres no gas at all, but i did run a pressure test more than once all with the same results.

cranked the key to the on position one time, pressure slightly goes up no more than 10 psi
2nd time cranking the key, goes up little past 20psi
3rd time cranking the key and it goes up to normal
after that i let the car run and idle and it holds pressure at a steady 35+ psi

anybody have any suggestions as to what it could be?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

IMO it seems likely to me that your problem is a weak fuel pump or a leak in the flexible lines inside the gas tank.

Do you want to know for sure? Do you have an ODB2 scanner? If the problem is a fuel delivery problem then it will show up in the operational PID's.
  • Short Term fuel trim
  • Long Term Fuel Trim
  • fuel pressure
STFT's should show that the PCM is attempting to add fuel to compensate for the lack of fuel.

One would also expect to see a decrease in the fuel pressure as reported by the PCM.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB

Reactions: 1 user
IMO it seems likely to me that your problem is a weak fuel pump or a leak in the flexible lines inside the gas tank.

Do you want to know for sure? Do you have an ODB2 scanner? If the problem is a fuel delivery problem then it will show up in the operational PID's.
  • Short Term fuel trim
  • Long Term Fuel Trim
  • fuel pressure
STFT's should show that the PCM is attempting to add fuel to compensate for the lack of fuel.

One would also expect to see a decrease in the fuel pressure as reported by the PCM.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB
Would that be something I could take to autozone and check out? I don’t have a OBD2 scanner and at this point it seems like a pretty damn good investment into getting one, but for now I’m stuck without one

Would that be something I could take to autozone and check out?
There is a big difference between an ODB2 scanner and a code reader. The reader is used to read DTC codes. A scanner is used to access operational PID's. Further not all scanners are created equal. Some will only access ODB2 generic PID's. Do your homework.

Maybe if you live in a small area or have a great relationship with your local Autozone maybe they would let "use" a more advanced unit. But are they going to let you take it on a "test drive"?