• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Help! How do I extend/uncompress my shocks?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jerry S
  • Start date Start date Apr 3, 2005

jerry S

New Member
Sep 3, 2003
1,365
1
0
52.22N 5.12E
Apr 3, 2005
#1
  • Apr 3, 2005
  • #1
I am installing a new export brace. I have the old one off and the new one ready to go on. I was trying to fit the shock tower cap back on and accidentally compressed the shock. I have no idea how to get it back up. It is a Koni. I would appreciate your timely replies.

jS
 
6

69 Capecod

New Member
Aug 30, 2004
97
0
0
Cape Cod MA.
Apr 3, 2005
#2
  • Apr 3, 2005
  • #2
Are you saying that the shock is stuck commpressed it wont come back up. If so buy a new set of shocks.
 

Max Power

Active Member
Jul 31, 2003
1,774
1
36
St Paul
Apr 3, 2005
#3
  • Apr 3, 2005
  • #3
Konis are stiff both ways. You may just have to remove it and stretch it out.
 

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
3,548
32
109
Austin TX
Apr 3, 2005
#4
  • Apr 3, 2005
  • #4
I'm not sure what you mean by "accidentally compressed". In order to compress any shock worth having it will take significant pressure, once that pressure is removed it should pop back up or into full extension without any effort at all. If it is staying compressed do what capecod said, replace the set (at least the front 2 or probably all four if they were bought together).
 

jerry S

New Member
Sep 3, 2003
1,365
1
0
52.22N 5.12E
Apr 3, 2005
#5
  • Apr 3, 2005
  • #5
I had the shock tower cap off and was trying to manuever it back on when I pushed the shock down a little bit. It was enough not to be able to get the cap back on. And it would not come back up. I settled on forcibly pulling that somebitch up to extend it. I am guessing that the guy who built the car for me has the shocks adjusted for some hard cornering. Anyways, the new export brace is on and it complements the adjustable monte carlo bar Dolfan made for me, the new wires are crimped, and the new billet looms are installed. I cannot upload them because they are too big but the engine is starting to look nice.
 

65ShelbyClone

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2000
4,675
38
119
Antelope Valley, SoCal
Apr 3, 2005
#6
  • Apr 3, 2005
  • #6
I also find it strange that you shock actually stayed in a compressed position. All the new dampers I've ever seen were wired down so they stayed compressed to keep the boxes smaller. Only the blown-out shocks stayed down....

jerry S said:
I cannot upload them because they are too big but the engine is starting to look nice.
Click to expand...

Send them to me or anyone with image editing software/Photoshop to cut/compress the jpegs for you.
 

jerry S

New Member
Sep 3, 2003
1,365
1
0
52.22N 5.12E
Apr 4, 2005
#7
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #7
engine bay pic

here is a pic of the engine bay showing the MPG Heads export brace and the monte carlo bar Dolfan made for me. It is made of 1 inch moa tube an has RH/LH threaded rod ends. Whereas the other guys have to beat theirs' in with a hammer, you can simply rotate the bar and it either extends or retracts, pushing or pulling until the shock towers are in place. This design is superior to everything else. The only drawback is that you have to pull the distributor to do it. The export brace is the same. It has threaded rod ends and you can preload the tension by rotating them. They are very definitely stronger than the export brace that was on there. I was surprised at how flimsy that thing was. It was like a bent paper clip. I set the resolution to low and the quality of the pic is not good but you get the idea.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0152.webp
    32.8 KB · Views: 483

jerry S

New Member
Sep 3, 2003
1,365
1
0
52.22N 5.12E
Apr 4, 2005
#8
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #8
and this is the

Export brace close up
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0153.webp
    19.6 KB · Views: 292

jerry S

New Member
Sep 3, 2003
1,365
1
0
52.22N 5.12E
Apr 4, 2005
#9
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #9
and one last one

another shot
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0154.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 259

jerry S

New Member
Sep 3, 2003
1,365
1
0
52.22N 5.12E
Apr 4, 2005
#10
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #10
Max Power said:
Konis are stiff both ways. You may just have to remove it and stretch it out.
Click to expand...

the odd thing is that it compressed really easy but was a sombitch to get back up. that doesn't sound right to me. It suggests to me that my shocks are not pushing back up. In other words, that I have a problem. It would also explain the rattling and the bone jarring bumps when I drove it last. I was attributing it to having a very stiff suspension. Now I am not so sure. These are brand new, with less than 100 miles on them.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
362
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
H
Ongoing Battle With Hydraulic Lifters
  • hailer06
  • Jun 8, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
461
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 9, 2026
Noobz347
D
Fuel Erratic Fuel Pressure 1985 GT
  • DienstXIV
  • Jan 14, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
16
Views
822
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 16, 2026
AeroCoupe
Tuners come on inside
  • squeak93
  • Feb 13, 2026
  • SVT Tech Forum
Replies
1
Views
322
SVT Tech Forum Feb 20, 2026
squeak93
A
Please!? I need some help with my 1964.5 alternator conversion
  • Alabear94
  • Dec 6, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
423
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jan 10, 2026
GOvert
G
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?