*HELP* How to identify if I bought a PI or NPI 4.6 2v engine?

pollock_209

May 7, 2019
California
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums and I need some help. I recently bought a replacement 4.6 2V for my 2003 Mustang GT after the first one blew up. I bought it online from a place that always sells engines and it does have a 3-year warranty. It was supposed to be a 03 drop-out with 73K miles. However, I don't think it's a PI engine. I think it's NPI and am having a hard time spotting all the differences. I am currently away from the engine (in college) but it was just received at my buddies shop back home and he sent me some pics. I am going to have him go back and take some more, including the casting numbers on the back.

If this thing is NPI, I'm going to be EXTREMELY pissed off and raise hell to the company I bought it from and have to play the waiting game again..

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it!

-JP

Attachments

• Engine Back.jpg
    Engine Back.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 515
  • Engine Front.jpg
    Engine Front.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 287
  • Engine Manifold.jpg
    Engine Manifold.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 267
  • Engine Side.jpg
    Engine Side.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 298
  • Sponsors (?)

It looks like a NPI to me. Two things. The oil cap is on the driver's side on NPI and on passenger side on PI. Also on the intake manifold, the first crossover runner on the front of the engine will start on the drivers side for PI and will start on the passenger side for NPI.

The motor has a return style fuel system. Most certainly did not come out of a 2003 Mustang.

If this Motor did come out of a Mustang then it's a 1998 or older. Which would make it Non-PI.