Help: Is my tranny broken?

• Sponsors (?)

semperfi510 said:
I was shifting gears hard and now the car wont go out of third. The shifter moves but the gear is stuck in third. DId the shifter break or is it my tranny. Any info would be helpful.
Johnny

well the exact same thing happened in mine, with the exception of me being easy on it & it was stuck in second. well i was told it was a syncro, shift fork, mainshaft & a couple of other things i cant remember. it is most definately tranny :notnice: not to scare you or anything, but my car has been at the dealer since dec.23rd :bang: :mad: :fuss: . the parts for it have supposedly been "on back order" from tremec. the last part is supposed to be released in feb. :mad: but they are supposedly ordering a new tranny from the assembly line & having it shipped so i can have my car back soon. i should have my car by next week sometime.........hopefully :rolleyes: :mad:

The shifter moves freely in third and fourth. It has 36,000 miles on it. What is the regular powertrain warranty from fo ford? WIll it be covered still? If not I think I need to look for a stock tranny from someone. Anyone have a tranny for sale.
johnny

I didn't see a shifter listed , so the dealer should probably warranty it.
There are a lot of things in there that can cause this. Maybe a broken shift fork. take it to the dealer and let us know what they say. Good luck.

semperfi510 said:
Don't we get a powertrain for longer though? I thought the powertrain was for six. I am going to ask.
johnny
It is worth it to ask. You may also have an argument by saying that it is a common problem with these transmissions. Look at the sticky 3650 threrad. If they say they cant do anything, try contacting tremec. Im pretty sure that the 3 yr/36,000 mi is the only warranty unless you purchased an extended warranty.

The dealer is where you need to go. If you know of a dealer that is more friendly, that would be the place to go.Look at the sticky thread and get your info. Talk to a service advisor and be nice. They will have a number for someone at Ford to talk to about this that may be able to help you out. If you are outside of 3 years or 36,000, they do not have to warranty. :D

My brother had a 2001 GT and went through two clutches (he is a great driver, he also owns an 11sec fox body) with just mild abuse on a stock GT. The dealer would not cover itn (they said it was overly abused) so he sold the car after the second $600.00 clutch job. He has vowed to never buy a new ford again, and he is a longtime Mustang owner. Too bad they can't get the tranny issue sorted out.

I never had a clutch job done or a tranny job. I was not even racing the thing. It would pop out of third sometimes before this happened. I am going to claim it under warranty if possible. Before I left to Iraq I took it in and they said it was fine. Just in case anything was wrong before the warranty was out. This was the second day driving it since last year and it went out. That should not happen. They can see the mileage from last year and they will know. It only has 35k. We'll see.
Johnny :flag: