Engine Help me figure out what this is?

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
This "valve" or "Solenoid" sits on the drivers side fender well next to the master brake cylinder.... It has electric and vacuum going to it, although the vacuum line was NOT there when I started on this car, so this is a guess...
83 GLX, 4 speed manual, 5 liter......
What the heck is it?? I am assuming its part of the nightmare vacuum/electric pollution control system on this car that is going on a garage shelf, but I just don't know.. I have not traced the electrical yet, so I cannot say where the two black wires go and I have spent too much time trying to unhook the electrical connector in the lower right hand side of this pic. I have not found it in my electrical/vacuum manual ( probably in the supplement LOL)
Any help here? Thanks
DSCF0820.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Nobody? I am guessing its carb cars only stuff and everyone on here has FI or a newer car... Wondering if maybe it plugged into the Air cleaner and actuated something on it??
Two black wires? I thought black wires designates ground, but both can't go to ground?
I am going to delete from the car, but I would like to know what the heck it did/does???

Here are some pictures..
Funny, while this part only has two black wires to the connector, the other side of the connector has a green and white that goes to the TAD or TAM, so it must be emissions control..
Only numbers I could find on the part.... 1253,
DSCF0888.JPG
DSCF0889.JPG

Please keep us posted, I've got a headache looking for an explanation and even foned a friend. Nothing!
Biggest problem is the car is outside as my garage is FULL.. I dont want to tear into the car until I get it inside ... With the prices and demand of used cars up I am going to sell my BMW and my car trailer.. The dodge is going on Ebay soon too... Then I can move the mustang into the garage...
DSCF0880.JPG

I have bought alot of parts and rebuilt the engine so I have been 'Preparing " for the day it comes inside....
Anyone looking for a really nice car trailer?? You rarely see featherlites for sale... $6500....
DSCF0098.JPG
DSCF0689.JPG

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
That's a really nice trailer with a rock shield. I wish I had the money because it would be in my driveway.

Reactions: 1 user
So after ordering my Ford 83 Engine emissions diagnosis manual from just north of Atlanta ( I live directly south in Central Florida) it was shipped to Memphis and sat there a day or two, and I finally got it today..
Looks like this is called a Wide Open Throttle vacuum switch... One manifold vacuum line comes into it and one wire goes to the tad/tab switches.... Probably will not need it with the new carb that is going on it.....LOL
AFter going through this manual I tip my hat to the guys who kept these pre computer, Save the Whales pollution devices... What a nightmare....

So …
So after ordering my Ford 83 Engine emissions diagnosis manual from just north of Atlanta ( I live directly south in Central Florida) it was shipped to Memphis and sat there a day or two, and I finally got it today..
Looks like this is called a Wide Open Throttle vacuum switch... One manifold vacuum line comes into it and one wire goes to the tad/tab switches.... Probably will not need it with the new carb that is going on it.....LOL
AFter going through this manual I tip my hat to the guys who kept these pre computer, Save the Whales pollution devices... What a nightmare....
What is the function of the WOT vac switch? Any idea what it does to the Tad or Tab?

I will read up on it in the near future.... A good manual.. All sorts of step by step diagnostics on he carb, distributor and the electrical system.... Step by step to check coil, Duraspark control etc......

Reactions: 1 users