Help Needed Please (No pulse at injectors)

StrollingBowling

Mar 26, 2018
I need some help, I have a 1990 GT 5.0. Mostly stock. Last 2 weeks have had issues with it cranking. Some days it will and others it will not. Drove it to get gas the other day. Cut it off to pump gas, It has never started again after that. Car will turn over great and I have spark at the plugs. Not a great spark but I do have spark. I replaced the PIP sensor and had the TFI testes at Advance 7 times passed each time. I used a NOID light on the injectors and I do not have a pulse going to the injectors. Fuel pump runs with switch on. what is the next area to look at and or test?

I have done some tracing. What I have found is that I only have 5.5 v coming to the fuel pump relay from the ECU relay. I replaced the ECU relay and it cranked fine for about 12 times. Got up this morning and no fuel pump again. Is there an easy way to bypass the ECU relay for the fuel pump to come on with the switch

My post, post #2, covers your issue. Did you read through the "Crank Ok, no start" checklist? It covers that you should have 12v at your relay and what to do if you don't. That check list is the holy grail and has your answers. Please report back afterward.

What I found was ECU relay had been wet on the inside of it and rusted. I am guessing the original relay. Replace it and things ran great for 1 day. Then found a short in the ECU plug guessing I created it when trying to unplug it. I also removed the second set of 10 pin connectors. This car has 2 sets of them, one looks like a jumper set. So far everything working. I do notice the idle jumping a little and it takes a few seconds for it to idle to come down if you tack it up. Is this normal or a sign of something else not doing as it should.

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. It includes how to dump the computer codes quickly and simply as one of the first steps. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix.

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 250,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.

That "jumper" is an extension. Our cars came from the factory with that harness too short, as a fix to the issue, they issued a recall and the dealers installed the extension. The 10 pin connectors are also referred to as salt and pepper shakers. I had the extension on my car too and removed them without issue. Be sure to use dielectric grease when re-connecting them.

Jrichker is our resident Ford Mustang genius and he provided a link the the surging idle check list that you want to check out. It should help fix your hanging idle.

I want to thank everyone for their help. I have found my last problem I hope. There is a short in a wire of the plug for the ECU relay. This is a pain to get to. Is there a trick to getting enough of it out to replay the plug without pulling the dash? Looks as if the pig tail for this plug is only 3" long and you can't get to it good enough from the speaker hole nor the kick panel. Any thoughts would help. Really don't want to pull the dash. If I do It will be changed to another color. Red on Red is not my first choice. LOL