HELP! Oil Pressure Switch Failure

I have a check engine light the gives me a DTC code of 5284 which is the Oil Pressure Switch Failure. Has anyone had this problem before and if so how do I fix it? Is the car ok to drive because I would assume so? The oil gauge still works. How much does this part cost? Will this cause the car to run in retard mode (running slower than usual)?

• Sponsors (?)

car will run fine. there is a problem with these switches. i replace mine about a month ago. the art was like $12 from ford. i think you need a 13/16 wrench to install it. it should take less than 5 min to fix

have you been having problems with the guage staying at zero presure when you start the car? if so this is a very common problem and you need to replace the switch.

that code does not sound right? where did you get that code from, I hope you did not do that thing where you can read the codes in odometer. if you did that don't work. those are only codes for the instument cluster and not pcm codes.

Sounds like the HEC code to me.. although he said he has a check engine light. My guess is he has a check engine light for another reason, and did the HEC test thinking that was showing him the DTC..

If you have a check engine light, you need to go to Autozone, or buy an OBD-2 scanner to find the code.

sgarlic said:
Sounds like the HEC code to me.. although he said he has a check engine light. My guess is he has a check engine light for another reason, and did the HEC test thinking that was showing him the DTC..

If you have a check engine light, you need to go to Autozone, or buy an OBD-2 scanner to find the code.

yep. and the problem with that test is it will give you a false code for the oil presure switch. you will get that code on any car you do that test on.

I also had to replace my oil pressure switch. on cold starts, usually below freezing, the "gauge" (idiot light in disguise) would read intermit, bouncing from 0 to half scale, until it warmed up some. changed the switch, no more probs. never got a check engine light though. when you change it, some oil will drain out, so you might want to do it during an oil change. good luck.