Help rebuilding a 302 HO with gt40 iron heads

Hi, help me with these please. I got a 302 engine from an explorer it is a 5.0 roller engine, I'm planning on rebuilding it and put it into a 66 mustang, I got a Ford E303 roller cam, a pair of full stock gt40 iron heads (Non P), I have the set of new hydraulic roller lifters and Edelbrock rpm, I have been reading that in order to have this setup i need to change the valve springs and the roller rocker arms and maybe the pushrods.

I don't know what valve springs to choose, either what roller rocker arms if 1.7 or 1.6 but I think 1.6 causes less stress and something thing that I'm missing are the pistons and rings so could you help me deciding what pistons, if the 1.6 roller rocker arms are fine and what valve springs to choose please

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

in order to have this setup i need to change the valve springs and the roller rocker arms and maybe the pushrods.

Edelbrock sells this stuff to match

Street = 1.6 rockers

Pistons - depends on intended use and intended gas and head chamber volume size. Desired compression ratio. Induction system ect.
Ask your machinist to get you going the right direction.

An E cam is fairly mild and I think it'll be a good choice. If you still have the original rocker arms, I don't understand why you'd have to change to roller rockers unless you just want the upgrade. Your stock pushrods should be fine too. You should be able to use valve springs for a 93 Cobra. Are your original pistons missing or defective ?

Reactions: 1 user
An E cam is fairly mild and I think it'll be a good choice. If you still have the original rocker arms, I don't understand why you'd have to change to roller rockers unless you just want the upgrade. Your stock pushrods should be fine too. You should be able to use valve springs for a 93 Cobra. Are your original pistons missing or defective ?

Yes i do have the original gt40 rocker arms and pushrods that i can re use, i have a set of used flat pistons with 4 valle reliefs that i planed to use as well and the only missing part are the valve springs but i saw online and found the ( tfs 2500-100)

So mi setup Will be
302HO
Gt40 iron heads with stock pushrods and rocker arms
E303 cam
Flat piston with 4 valve reliefs
And the tfs 2500-100 spring kit

Sounds good ?

Did your pistons come out of the block you are going use ? If not, your block and the pistons need to be measured to see if they will work with the correct clearance between the piston and the side of the block, somewhere between .004 and .007" if I remember right. If you have a situation where the pistons are oversized, you'll have to bore the block to match.