Help! Spark Plug keeps blowing out of engine

IronD01GTvert

Founding Member
Mar 5, 2002
Tucson, Arizona
So i was driving the other day when the my GT just started sputtering and barely accelerated. I pulled over and looked under the hood to find a spark plug had worked its way out of the engine. I drove the car home and replaced all the plugs. After replacing them I took the car on a quick test drive. Everything seemed fine until i floored it and then a large BOOM sound came from the engine and the same plug blew out again. Has anyone ever heard of this? The 1st time it happened there was no damage to the plug at all, and the new spark plug tapped right in, no problems. The second time it happend there was some damage to the new spark plug; the threads were bent near the electrode and the electrode was bent all the way down. Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

bigconig said:
I remember someone posting a link to a product to fix this (sort of like a heli coil) but I didn't save the link. Maybe a thread bump will help.
helicoil kit will help you drill a brand new thread in place of the old one if that is the problem (ie the spark plug thread is screwed up)... :shrug:

Attached are some pics.

Attachments

• Stang1.jpg
    Stang1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 429
  • stang2.jpg
    stang2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 484
Now when it happened to you did the threads strip out? Mine dont seem to be stripped, although I havent really had the chance to get a really good look at them. The plug threads in no problem without being loose, so i dont think they are stripped. Unfortunately my car is out of warranty, with aftermarket plugs and they game me trouble for my nitrous the last time I went to ford with a cracked intake manifold.