Engine Help with distributor/timing

jjstokes101

Apr 9, 2018
NJ
Hi All,

Newbie here.. I put in a new distributor (88 LX 5.0) and was looking to get TDC but having some issues.

I removed the #1 spark plug and I cranked the engine by hand till I felt the air shoot out. I then go to check where the harmonic balancer is lining up and it is way off, shouldn't it be close to 0?

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, 0deg is TDC. If you are really at TDC, then maybe the balancer has come apart. They are 2 pieces bonded together with an elastomer (rubber).
Google for internet pics. They can slip & lock back together in a different position for a while. Any cracking or bulging is bad.
31 year old balancer should probably be replaced. I got mine at Rock Auto for about $100.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user
It's a serious question because GM uses the drivers side front as #1. And someone could be familiar with GM and assume that SBF is similar.

I figure the OP said he was a newbie here. Maybe he's a newbie to sbf too. When I was that way, I made assumptions and was wrong alot.

When you begin to feel air pushing out , it should be on the compression stroke. But just as you “begin” feel air, does not mean the compression strike is completed. It needs to be near completed before the mark on the balancer is close to the zero pointer.

As soon as you feel air pushing out, stop rotating the crank. Pull your finger out and focus on the balancer. Slowly continue the clockwise rotatation of the crank while focusing on the balancer looking for the mark. It may not be close when you first felt air, but it should be on the way soon if you keep rotating.

When you begin to feel air pushing out , it should be on the compression stroke. But just as you “begin” feel air, does not mean the compression strike is completed. It needs to be near completed before the mark on the balancer is close to the zero pointer.

As soon as you feel air pushing out, stop rotating the crank. Pull your finger out and focus on the balancer. Slowly continue the clockwise rotatation of the crank while focusing on the balancer looking for the mark. It may not be close when you first felt air, but it should be on the way soon if you keep rotating.

Thanks.

I'll give it a shot again tomorrow after work.

If that works out, the next step would be to pull the distributor, line the rotor w/ the #1 on the cap. When inserted back in, it should land between 12 and 1, right? Then pull the spout connector, fire it up and work on the timing by twisting the distributor, prob land at 10-13 degrees on the balancer?

Thank all again for the responses.

I have used a screw driver to find TDC after determining I am on the compression stroke, I don't even look at the balancer until I have TDC, you may have to turn the engine back and forth to find the top of the compression stroke, the look at the balancer to see where it is at, that will tell you if the ring has spun on the balancer.
you will need to clean where the marks are. I take a pick and scratch the hash marks at 0*, 10*, 12* and 14*, I painted the area with a white paint pen then gently wiped it and the paint stays in the marks, easy to see when setting timing.

• Agree
It doesn't matter how the distributor is oriented when it's inserted. As long as it lines up near the #1 terminal when the #1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke, you're good to go. The only reason the distributor orientation matters is if the TFI module is making physical contact with something before you've reached the desired base timing. If you can do so without pulling it, you should just leave it in.

• Agree