Help with Duraspark to MSD swap

thedook83

Jul 30, 2009
hey guys i recently purchased an 83 mustang glx convertible from a friend of mine..it has a roller 302 in it...and uses a duraspark ignition box and duraspark distributor set up...long story short...im trying to figure out if i can delete the duraspark ignition box and use just a msd 6al as i have in my possession....also the duraspark distributor that is currently on the motor is on its way out...so what distributor to go with...a duraspark or msd? any help would be appreciated...

the dook.

• Sponsors (?)

The Duraspark is one of the most durable ignitions out there. And they normally either work or fail, there is not much in between. They will have intermittent probs and fail when hot, but recover when they cool. There are really only two parts, the box and the pickup coil in the dist. Both are cheap and easy to replace.

That said, you can run an MSD by using the Duraspark box as a trigger, or delete the box and use the dist to directly trigger the MSD. I have done both, and my 82 currently has a Digital 6 triggered by the dist only. I would use the Duraspark dist to trigger. Its cheaper than anything else and works fine.

MSD has wiring guides on their website or you can call them. They also have harness to connect their boxes to Durasparks, so it can be pretty much plug and play.