Help with Egr

bboylobo

New Member
May 4, 2005
130
0
0
Lancaster PA
I amputated the k member from my stang because im in the middle of my header and xpipe install. i cant seem to get the egr valve off of the manifold. i tried spraying it with pb blaster and using an adjustable but it wont budge.

anyone have some tips on removing this pipe. its holding up my install at the moment. i dont know the exact size of the nut. I tried all my open head wrenches and none of them fix. Im probably missing the one that is the right size. any help is appreciated.
 
well dont i need the egr for something? i would need to patch that hole on the headers then lol.

im not sure how the car would run with a deleted egr with no tune. but i have mine deleted and it cleans up the engine bay and takes of about 2lbs lol.

its not a crucial part of your engine but you can plug the bung with a copper penny (real copper so like before 1981 i think:shrug:) and i made a plate for on the plenum that plugs that up. many guys have done it just do a little research
 
Don't delete it w/o tuning. It will cause all sorts of issues..... If you don't have a tuner, then keep it on.... I personally don't like it either b/c it does clutter things up but there are no real benefits to deleting it.
 
The EGR reduces emissions and actually improves fuel mileage, especially at light load conditions. It has no effect on wide open performance and generally doesn't break down or have problems. As said before, there is no advantage to getting rid of it. You are only making things more complicated because you'll have to get a tune of some sort so the computer isn't expecting it to be there and working.
 
This is a common trouble spot. I just went through the same issue when installing my headers. I believe it's a 21mm and I had to use a breaker bar and lots of heat to get it started. Mine broke loose at the fitting to manifold connection so I had to take the whole tube off and put it in the vice to get the fitting off. As if I wasn't having fun already when I finally got the fitting off, half the threads stayed in the nut on the end of the egr tube. After about 3 evenings of messing with it after work I have finally got the threads cleaned up. Dropping the k member went smoother than removing that egr tube. Good luck!