Help with oil pressure gauge and oxygen sensor...

andrewb_80

Sep 25, 2005
Dayton, Oh
I have a 94 Mustang that i just put a carb 302 in it. My first question is my electrical autometer ultra lite oil pressure gauge always reads 100lb of pressure when the engine is running....obviously this is not right, is it the sender that is bad?? I'm pretty sure that its hooked up right because it has power,etc. And if the sender is bad, do i have to pay the 30 dollars for a new one through autometer, or is there another one that will work?

My other question is about my oxygen sensor. My ecu is still all hooked up, i called autometer and they said that my air/fuel gauge will still work if it his all hooked up again but... The oneproblem is that i cut the plug off of the trans harness for the sensor, so i have 4 wire on the o2 sensor and 4 wires on the sensor, and no plugs and dont know which wires go to which. Help greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Are you really sure that you did not hook up a grounded wire to the sending unit? If you ground the sending unit wire, it should peg the gauge at max.

Dont understand the other thing.

Good luck.

Well i have one ground strap from the block to the chasis, but other than that no..The sending unit wire is a straight shot to teh gauge maybe i will test it with a test light...would that say anything?
And about the 02 sensor, basically i have the four wires on the o2 sensor, and four wires on the harness, both with no plugs to plug into eachother, and my schematics from haynes do not say enough. So I just dont know which wire on the harness connects to which wire on the sensor..any better?

Andrew, you might be able to ohm out the sending wire to see how it looks (it might give a rough idea).

On the Lambda gauge, you can pick up the O2 wires at the computer itself. THis is a clean way to do it (no exterior wiring taps, etc). You can use a toggle switch to toggle the gauge from one bank to another.

But I dont know the wiring colors on a 95 V6 car. Asking or searching one of those guys might help.

Good luck.

The stock O2 sensors are virtually useless for any aftermarket a/f gauges/lights. They function in FAR too narrow a band to provide any useful information - ESPECIALLY now that you're carbed. If you're serious about using an a/f gauge of any type, get something that works with a WIDE BAND sensor -- and buy that type of sensor to replace one of your existing units. Then you can take the other one out and plug the hole.

7upstang said:
Even if the wires on the gauge appear to be hooked up correctly, if the ground isn't clean, the gauge will peg at 100. Does the gauge jump to 100 as soon as you turn the ignition on in the car?
I would hope he fixed it by now. :)

7upstang said:
Well, maybe he's a REALLY slow reader. Sorry, I didn't read the date posted and I just went throught the same scenario with my OPG

Cheers
Nah man, it was cool that you posted - it'll help someone down the line. :nice:

I think this thread, like so many others, never got a final reply (to help future searchers).