• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Help!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brent odom
  • Start date Start date May 27, 2017
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2

Hoytster

I don't dare do that to my Knob
20+ Year Stangneter
Dec 30, 2002
1,069
700
164
Cornwall, PA
May 30, 2017
#21
  • May 30, 2017
  • #21
Brent odom said:
Dude you want me to get a laptop and some 30$ thing from amazon. Im no certified tech like you but i just want to fix my car not go buy all this crap to tell me basic stuff. I made this post because im pretty sure its happend to someone else. I do not have a desktop. I do not have anything you have named to me, which means what? You are not helping me one bit. My battery voltage has been checked. My alternator has been checked. All my grounds are just fine. You make it seem like the worst case of car trouble to ever know. Not everyone is a big shot like you. I am not able to do anything you have named to me. So enough with the bible scriptures dude your wasting your time, and really just stressing me out. Your naming stuff im not able to do. Sorry bud thanks for your time.

BUT to noobz, im pretty sure that could be whats happening. Only happends when the car is at normal operating temps. The fuel pressure was checked at idle. And i honestly forgot what brand of pump was bought. I didnt install the pump myself, the man i bought my car from claims he did, but gave a me recipt for the pump. It could have been for a mini van, i dont know.
Click to expand...

I understand your frustration when trying to figure out issues like this, but I don't think wmburns was trying to talk above you or telling you to go out and buy an expensive laptop for the $30 ELM tool. A lot of us guys have laptops around that we could use for this, and the $30 ELM tool with ForScan is about the most cost effective way to get a lot of the information you WILL need to properly troubleshoot Ford OBDII cars without investing in a much more expensive comprehensive tool. I'm sure a lot of us wish we had the magical answers to all peoples car problems, but unfortunately the correct troubleshooting processes and information must be gathered before an intelligent answer can be delivered. He's just trying to help you understand the processes and what to look out for. I know it can be overwhelming with all this information but by paying attention to what some of these guys say and following the processes they lay out, you'll make your life a lot easier when it comes to these issues. The alternative is throwing money and parts at a vehicle until you either find the issue and fix it, costing you more time and money that necessary, or you get frustrated and give up. We're all here to help!
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,409
21,614
234
Box behind Walmart
May 30, 2017
#22
  • May 30, 2017
  • #22
Without the proper tools to diagnose the problem, you really should take it to a mechanic. Realistically, we can speculate all day long but the short version is that the problem does need to be diagnosed. It's usually the cheapest path to a good fix versus replacing parts and hoping for the best.

Yes, your symptoms sound a lot like symptoms I've experienced before that for me, turned out to be part X. The fact of matter is that several parts within the fuel delivery system are suspect.

If it were my car and I was given the history of this pump as you have given it's history... I'd jerk that thing right out of there and start with a pump that I had validated as a correct and quality part. Even "if" I had determined that the problem lie somewhere else.

I'm not a huge fan of questionable fuel system components.
 
Reactions: RaggedGT and Brent odom

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
5,892
514
204
Houston Texas
May 30, 2017
#23
  • May 30, 2017
  • #23
For the record I'm not a certified tech. I'm just a home DIY'er that likes to work on cars. I do work with computers so I'm not afraid of them.

I personally do hate doing the same job twice. I also dislike buying parts that don't fix the problem at hand.

Also for the record you were given several low/no cost low tech methods to test for various possibilities.

I'm going to drop off this thread as it's apparent that I'm not helping. Good luck.
 
Last edited: May 30, 2017
Reactions: RaggedGT and Brent odom
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Need help asap
  • shaggyman65
  • Dec 24, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
293
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Dec 24, 2025
shaggyman65
S
M
01 mustang 3.8 fuel pressure issue
  • Mhaley2006
  • May 29, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
382
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 9, 2026
JohnKay
J
D
Running both lean and rich with O2 heat codes
  • Danceswithfire5
  • Aug 30, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
138
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Sep 5, 2026
apple99Mustangdude
A
S
92 5.0 almost starts
  • Steverino
  • Sep 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
167
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 25, 2026
General karthief
L
1997 V6 Starting issue
  • leanzik04
  • Mar 20, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
310
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Mar 20, 2026
Noobz347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?