Hey you guys...I have a question..Im so lost

97redstang

Jul 25, 2007
I have a 97 GT and about 3 months ago i got some sub woofers put in and everything was good for about 2 months but than my battery died..i figured that maybe just the battery was dead because it was the battery that was in it when i bought the car so i have no idea how old the battery was...so i just bought a new battery and than it worked for about a week than it was dead. so than i took it back to autozone to get another battery and they gave me a brand new battery..this battery was good for about another week than it died..so i kept recharging it every day and it would last for about a hour than after i let it set for about 2 hours or longer, it dies...i already checked the alternator twice and it had good voltage when the car was running. than to finalize my check on the alternator i jump started the car and let it run than unhooked the battery while the car was running to make sure if it was the alternator or not and the car kept running just fine even when the battery was unhooked, so i dont think its the alternator
any advice would help...thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Did you have the subs installed professionally,were amps installed at that time or later,have you done any work at all since they were installed?Sounds as if something isnt powering off when you turn the car off.In my younger years I had an amp installed and they didnt hook it up right,after awhile it would kill the battery,other than that im not sure whats going on.Take the car to some other auto store besides Autozone and have them check the altenator,there are electronics in the alt that can cause similar issues but with the test you did the car can still run,from my experience any way.

You need a capacitor hooked up to your amp! If not you'll keep wearing out your batteries. The Capacitor acts as another voltage source for your sound system. The Capacitor charges and discharges very quickly so your amp will used the power from the capacitor and your electronics in your car will not be effected. Another common thing is your headlights dimming while driving.

Not sure havnt been that way in a long time,my wife runs a store in Nastysota and says that she thinks its still open.Im gonna have to go and see.At least you were lucky enough to get away from this screwy town...lol,Ive been here 20yrs now...

You need a capacitor hooked up to your amp! If not you'll keep wearing out your batteries. The Capacitor acts as another voltage source for your sound system. The Capacitor charges and discharges very quickly so your amp will used the power from the capacitor and your electronics in your car will not be effected. Another common thing is your headlights dimming while driving.

so when i get the capacitor everything will be alright or do i need to get another new battery because it died so many times?
but yah im going to take it to another shop and get that put in
thanks for the advice

Did you have the subs installed professionally,were amps installed at that time or later,have you done any work at all since they were installed?Sounds as if something isnt powering off when you turn the car off.In my younger years I had an amp installed and they didnt hook it up right,after awhile it would kill the battery,other than that im not sure whats going on.Take the car to some other auto store besides Autozone and have them check the altenator,there are electronics in the alt that can cause similar issues but with the test you did the car can still run,from my experience any way.

yah i got it all installed the same day and i took it to a shop to do all the work but i dont trust the people who did it and i would never go back to the place that installed them

Not sure about the battery,if you can get it replaced I would..too many jumps isnt good,but if you were doin a trickle type charge on it like you would if you were storing it for winter or like you would a motorcycle for winter then should be ok.

I know what you mean about the shop,theres always someone that claims to have the know how but....well you get the idea...lol.