higher gas prices in low income areas??

EPIK

Jul 3, 2004
LEFT COAST
Well this weekend I went on a few long cruises, so needless to say I had to fill up on gas a few times. The first time I got gas was in Sacramento in a rough & low income area of town. Lots of poverty, crime, & lack of good jobs in this area for sure. I filled up at the Shell in the area & noticed that 87 octane was $4.43 a gallon, & 91 octane (supreme) was a whopping $4.67 a gallon:eek:.

The next day I was in a northern california city called San Ramon, which is a upper class community where most people earn $500,000 to over a million a year. Lots of million dollar homes, porsches, Lambo's, Z06's, Maserati's, you name it in this area. well I filled up @ the Chevron station there, & noticed that 87 octane was only $4.19 a gallon & 91 octane was only $4.41 a gallon????

What is the reason that the rich people that can afford to gas up any car they want, get the far cheaper gas prices, & the poor people that can barely afford a few gallons have to pay over 20 cents more a gallon. i have actually noticed that its like this alot across california...I dont get it & its not fair???:shrug:

On a side note, I got 23mpg in my Mach this weekend while cruising in 5th gear on the highway between 70-80mph. I got 21mpg while cruising & playing a bit in 3rd & 4th gear...I thought these numbers werent bad for having a custom tune & a few mods...:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I have noticed the same thing. you know the shell station on keifer across from blockbuster and save mart? that station was over $4 a gallon before anyone else including the stations on bradshaw and anywhere on watt or arden. For a long time the cheapest gas was up hazel but that stoped. Lately I have been filling up at the valaro on arden and folton.

Yeah I noticed that too. The Shell I was talking about was near hwy 99 at Fruitridge & Martin Luther King. not exactly the best area of town. I know gas near the hwy is usually more, but i bet you if you drive up hwy 50 & get off in Folsom or eldorado hills, & the gas will be at least 15 cents cheaper than the Shell in "the Hood" I was referring too.

what are you doin in that part of town anyway? you tryn to score some crack or stress? hahahaha. I avoid areas like that.
I have friends in all sides of town & I am from south sac, so those areas dont scare me...I was actually out looking for Tyrone biggums..LOL!!!

View attachment 315676

tyrone.jpg

yeah dude, gas is gonna hurt these low income families badly, and its gonna some what affect the middle class. and what sucks is, i wanna buy some beater like what u picked up Epik, but then noticed, the gas money imma save, is gonna go on insurance, and just small bs from here and there, thankfully, my neighbor goes to the same school as i do, so , where definately gonna start carpooling together.

and as far as higher gas prices in rural areas, its prolly higher cause usually the rural areas are more industrial....perfect example; Ontario, California.

Well since im in TX I dunno the areas your talkin about but around here its like this....Where Im at is called Bryan/College Station,2 cities that look as one but there are surronding towns within 15-25 miles away.in B/CS gas is around $3.80 for 89 of which my car runs like **** with:notnice:,but in the smaller surrounding towns its about $4+ and these towns are lower income for sure.I see it like this in those towns,they have very few stations,not much competition there and so not alot of choice for gas so they mark it up more than in B/CS where every corner has 2 or 3 stations.My wife manages a Valero in Navasota(20miles away from where we live)small town,her prices are $4+gal but in B/CS the same stores owned by the same franchise is $3.75-$3.80gal....20cent diff.I m not wantin to see prices by next summer,hopefully my wife finishes school by then and gets the better job,hell between us we sit around 50k yr and the gas prices hurt.Anyone think the prices going up is gonna stop?or are they just gonna keep goin until no one can get gas?Wonder if we will ever see lower prices again?Is it cause of Iraq/Afghanistan crap or what?I read on the web that in Saudi Arabia gas is something like 12-14 cents a gal...WTF!:shrug:And everytime the dam gas goes up so does the grocery store,my meds and everything else.

And whats really irritating are the gas companies,like Exxon.A few months back one of their CEO's retired and what does he get,200 and something MILLION+his yrly salary,free use of the company jet and whole lot more expensive crap,he's like 60 somethin yrs old...how in the hell could he need all that in his short time left,if they can do that why the hell do they need to charge the prices they are....:mad::mad::(:notnice::nono:

Sorry for the rant but this is gettin rediculous,when I bought my last stang in 03 it cost me $18 to fill up,now $30 barely gets me half a tank if that by the time i get through typing this it will prob cost $40+ for half.Also whats weird to me is that in the Mach ill get around 25+or -hwy but in my GT i was only getting around 19-20hwy....

When your in the inner city bad areas and your out of gas.......
Your gonna pay what ever to get the hell out of there.
And all gas stations that are near each other charge whatever the other
stations on the same corner charge. They got us by da balls......:flag:

When your in the inner city bad areas and your out of gas.......
Your gonna pay what ever to get the hell out of there.
And all gas stations that are near each other charge whatever the other
stations on the same corner charge. They got us by da balls......:flag:

True,man i miss the 65-70 cents a gal from when I first started driving in the 90's...and I thought gas was alot then as a teen......:rlaugh:There is no way I would be driving my old Monte Carlo SS I had in high school back then,being my first car and not knowing to much about them I dunno what was done to it but it was fast and only got around 12mpg,mix between hwy/city.I know it had headers,exhaust,dropped, rims, and it didnt have the original quad jet,had a holley 4b and mom and dad didnt buy it for me either,they made me work for everything....Man I miss that car.

The stations in the poor areas sell less gasoline so to turn a profit they have to set their prices higher. Their marginal profit is greater but their total product sold is much less. All those wealthier people also have SUV which they fill up quite a bit. It is the same around here as where you are.:flag:

good ole capitalism!

i just wish it was true free market capitalism haha...

Anyways same here.. but what gets me is that i live in a place called "gasoline alley" and before gas went on the rise it was always at least 20 cents lower and sometimes 30 cents than across the river in the city... hence gas alley. Families use to come across the river and fill there cars up years ago, so there are tons of gas stations, there use to be anyway. Now I have noticed that gas is most of the time cheaper in the city... i would like to know why this is but no one has an answer

Yea I noticed that too, but after having to buy premium for my previous cars, I pretty much stopped looking at gas prices...probably not the best idea, but the drive across town to save that extra 3 bucks is sometimes not worth the 10 or 15 minute trip if you know what I mean. Im just excited that I get to run 87 :nice:

When gas prices go up in the D, the crime just goes up so those people don't haveto struggle. They just go rob a few stores, and steal some aluminum wheels and catalytic converters, sell them for scrap, and buy their gas that way. They basically get it for free!!!

When gas prices go up in the D, the crime just goes up so those people don't haveto struggle. They just go rob a few stores, and steal some aluminum wheels and catalytic converters, sell them for scrap, and buy their gas that way. They basically get it for free!!!

Well here we have some really brave crooks,they dont rob that kinda stuff as much as in the last year,Bank Robberies have really increased here,hell the one less than a mile from my house gets robbed 3-5 times a year now,and thats just that one,there are at least 50 others banks in town and some of those get it too,and whats worse is 50% of the time they get away with it and they dont talk about it in the papers too much because of it,they think its embarrassing being that A&M is here,so its kinda kept quiet....:rlaugh:Convinence stores dont get it as much really cuz none really stay open past 12am,out of 20-30 stores in just my area only about 3 stay open all night.

I live in SC, the cheapest (relative) in the country. I woke up this morning, went to get some coffee with the misses and gas dropped 6 cents/gallon to about $3.68 :D BP stations are the cheapest in my town

One other thing to look at is the extra insurance cost to operate a store in a higher crime area. That extra cost has to be passed on somewhere. Also, if there isn't alot of gas stations in that area it would affect the price. It doesn't seem fair that a few bad apples does affect everyone who lives in those areas. Many of those people are hard working and want to better themselves. With gas prices as high as they are, it's hard for most people to better themselves. Pearl02.