How Many Miles Can I Expect From Goodyear F1 Supercar Tires?

Barrybobvt

Sep 19, 2012
I just bought 18x9 and 18x10 Deep Dish Bullits and am looking at tires. Dang, they are expensive! I see the Goodyear F1 Supercar tires on EBay from a few sellers priced at about $300-$350 for a pair of 285/40/18 - 2008 production year.

I have read that they come new with only 8/32nds, and wear more quickly than other tires. Is the above price range a good deal?

Also, what kind of miles can I expect to get out of these in normal driving, not aggressive or track time?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I can't answer your questions about price or service life, but I can tell you that I'm less than impressed with the ones that came on my '13, and most of the Shelby owners I know of think similarly.

The hands-down favorite in the Shelby community appears to be the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I'll be looking to swap mine out next spring, most likely. VERY poor traction.

Reactions: 1 user
As the OP, here's my deal: I bought the car, a V6 convertible, and it was a stretch financially. Then, I bought the wheels for $300 because they were a deal - stretching me even more. Up here in VT, I will be putting my car away in about a month, with maybe a couple of top down more days left.

Since buying the car a month ago, I have:

- removed the side "Mustang" stripe
- removed the rear spoiler
- changed my interior from Dove Grey leather to Charcoal Black by vinyl painting all panels and swapping out seat covers
- tinted the tail lights a bit with VHT Niteshades

So I am trying to clean the car up visually and lose the V6 look. Next spring I will get a tail light blackout panel and GT style foglight grille. The car still has the 16" base alloys, so changing the wheels is my biggest priority.

I am trying to spend $500 on tires total, and am fine buying some used ones with, hopefully more than 50% tread left. So here's a hypothetical:

Would you spend $325 for a pair of new F1 Supercars or 50% tread Toyos, Dunlops, Pirellis, whatever?

Interesting proposition... Random thoughts:

1) F1s STINK in cold. Warning sticker says don't drive the car in less than 40 degree weather. They're not kidding. You can warm them up and cheat a little, but if they're cool, they're squirrelly.

2) If you're going in storage in a month, you've got all winter... might just hold fast and see what else shakes loose?

3) Once they're warmed up, you probably won't have the same traction issues with the F1s that Shelby owners are having, so they may work fine for your use (no slam intended).