How much is the average cost?

islandcreation

Feb 11, 2007
Alright, I have a 1967 mustang with an already H-crossover system. I'm pretty sure its diameter is 2.25 or even a 2. I just got flowmaster 40 series (very cheap) since there located in Santa Rosa and their headquarters is about 1/2 a miles from my house. I called around so far only 2 places meineke wants to charge $160 for installing the new mufflers. And another spot stated they can't install parts brought in? Hmmm.... here's my question. How much should I spend without getting ripped off! I live in northern CA so it maybe diffrent then again maybe not. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Is the 160$ quote welded in or clamps? Do they exit out the back or dumps? IMO that is kinda high. Why not buy clamps and do it yourself? Just a thought. Maybe try finding a muffler shop that isn't a franchise and the prices are usually lower. At least that has been my experience.

That is the reason I started buying the tools and doing the work myself. One of the best purchases I made was my welder; I've gotten more than my money's worth from it. I understand some ppl don't or can't do it themselves, but IMO the fun of owning one of these cars is being able to work on it and make it my own.

I bought the american thunder kit from flowmaster. I put it togather and had a one man shop weld it in. He quoted me $25. He wound up having to do a little fabrication in order to get the header flanges to line up with the rest of the pipe. That brought the price to a whopping $40. This same guy modified my tri-y headers to work with my gt-40p heads by re-routing #5&6 primary tubes for $50 bucks!! I love that guy.

Is the 160$ quote welded in or clamps? Do they exit out the back or dumps? IMO that is kinda high. Why not buy clamps and do it yourself? Just a thought. Maybe try finding a muffler shop that isn't a franchise and the prices are usually lower. At least that has been my experience.

That is the reason I started buying the tools and doing the work myself. One of the best purchases I made was my welder; I've gotten more than my money's worth from it. I understand some ppl don't or can't do it themselves, but IMO the fun of owning one of these cars is being able to work on it and make it my own.

Yeah, I like to get my own tools but I live in a condo (basically an apt). Already I have all tools for tile cutting since i just laid out my bathroom and kitchen! Plus I have two storage units too! So a house would be nice witha huge garage... but I live in CA so I'm happy with my mustang!

Oh yeah. This is welded with it coming out of the back. Basically, I already have the H-corssover so all they have to do is cutout the old ones and welded on the 40's. But for $160...... hmmmm I'll shop around and get everyones advice