how strong is primer?

ShAkE N BaKe!!

Feb 27, 2007
In the near future, I plan on getting my body super straight. I don't know if I'm the only one, but I like the look of a straight, primerd(dark gray) '65, lowered with some nice wheels/tires. I want to have my car like that for a few months only! Before I do so, I was wondering, how long can I have my (daily)car primerd? Does weather make a difference? Can anything bad happen from this?

• Sponsors (?)

Primer plus clear coat

I saw on one of those saturday morning car shows where a guy mixed black primer and some clear coat (dont know how much of each), but it looked really good. Almost looked like the matte blalck they used to paint the hoods on the older muscle car, but just a little bit shinnier, not much though.

To answer one of your questions though, I had a 65 Mustang right out of high school, primered it black, and drove it for several years that way, didnt hurt it a bit.

i recommend clearing over the primer. that way you have real paint over the primer to seal it. that will give you a nice satin look, and when you are ready to really put a proper color coat on you have a solid base to use.

Epoxy primer won't let moisture through but it is affected by sunlight. I'm sure it would work for awhile but I don't know how long it would be before the uv rays start taking their toll on it. Call the auto paint shop where you plan on buying it and they should be able to guide you in the right direction.