How To Tell

Owens 40828

Active User
Oct 2, 2016
I just bought my 1st foxbody about a month ago. It has alot of up grades to it. It has an after market oil pan on it and I am not sure how much oil it holds correctly. I put 9 quarts of mobile 1 in it just to get it on the dip stick. A couple of mustang owners local have told me it's a 7 quart but 7 wouldn't read on the stick. How can I tell what's right.

It's a 331 stroker. It's was tuned at pan handle motor sports. Sorry I don't have more info. New to the mustang/car world. I do know I have a dyno charts showing 484 hp. Any help would be great. Thanks

Attachments

• 20160827_130548.jpg
    20160827_130548.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 124
  • received_863870617076245.jpeg
    received_863870617076245.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Yeah its definitely an after market one. But how would I tell the correct oil level in it. Wouldn't want to have 2 quarts to much. I don't know if the dipstick matches the oil pan either.

If you are using the stock style dip stick that goes thru the block, it doesn't make a happy red rat's bunion hole how big the pan is. You fill it to the level on the stick...

This may be a dumb question bit can it hurt it if there is to much oil

I don't know if there is potential damage, but if the crank sits in oil it will surely hurt performance, that's why they make windage trays.
If you have an aftermarket pan it would make sense that someone put in a windage tray too (at least I would and have)

The stock dipstick should be accurate, the engine doesn't care if the pan holds 5 quarts or 50 quarts as long as the right height is in there.

I don't know if there is potential damage, but if the crank sits in oil it will surely hurt performance, that's why they make windage trays.
If you have an aftermarket pan it would make sense that someone put in a windage tray too (at least I would and have)

The stock dipstick should be accurate, the engine doesn't care if the pan holds 5 quarts or 50 quarts as long as the right height is in there.

Thanks so much

There are 9 quart pans.
http://treperformance.com/i-1011-ford-mustang-cobra-302-canton-9-quart-front-sump-oil-pan.html

Take a pic of the pan and compare it online, if it's a well known brand shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

When i did a road race pan on my terminator engine (which I had to remove since it rubbed on the ground from time to time), it held nearly 9 quarts which made oil changes really expensive.

I think the canton I had on my pushrod engine was a 7.

It looks just like that one. Going to measure it to get a better idea.

What even bought it to my mind was my oil sending unit went down. I went to advance to pick on up and once I installed it my oil pressure was well over 100. Come to find out the sending unit has to match the guage. For there to be a accurate reading.

Is the car Naturally aspirated? Looks to be in the pics with an Anderson for power pipe going into the fender.
Is the horsepower at the engine or the wheels?
484rwhp is an awful lot for a 331, not impossible but not easy keeping it driveable.

It has a Anderson intake ran Into the fender. The HP at the engine at 484. I was told to that the dyno that they had done could have a 15 percent increase on it. Not really sure. I don't know alot about my stang yet , except it's fast and fun to drive

Got the correct amount of oil in it now. It was a 7 quart pan. I called canton and gave them the serial number. They said the reason 7 quarts wouldn't read is that alot of people don't calibrate the tubes. I had to cut about 2 inches off the dipstick tube to get read.

Too much oil can blow out seals. I'd find out what dipstick your supposed to use with your pan. I've owned 3 80's mustangs, they were stock with 5 qt capacity. Don't put in more than 7, that's pushing it. Your motor doesn't need any more to safely operate. When you check oil level car needs to be off for at least 25 minutes before checking. My expedition shows low if I don't. You've probably got wrong dipstick for that pan. A 5 qt stick is not going to work on a 7 qt pan. It's like trying to put a size 36 belt on a guy that needs a 44. It ain't gwonna fit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I call canton I gave them the serial number off the dipstick tube, it matches the pan. Just had to calibrate it.

You said to much oil can blow out seals... I have been trying to find this new oil leak. Looks to be coming from the back side of either the oil pan or motor. Going to get it on a lift and see. It's about the size of a can of Copenhagen the next day. Drips one time about every 5 mins or so.