• Off-Topic Hangout

How Would I Like A Jeep Cherokee?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Red_LX
  • Start date Start date Jan 30, 2014
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last

Red_LX

I’m not much help unless you’re looking for ****!
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
5,896
73
129
Morgantown, WV...where couches meet their doom
Jan 30, 2014
#1
  • Jan 30, 2014
  • #1
So, I've honestly always liked Jeep Cherokees but always heard they got crap mileage.

I'll be in the market for a used 4x4 soon and I always seen tons of Cherokees for sale. I saw that on the gubberment's fuel economy website the Cherokee with the 4.0 is rated for something like 15/18 with the 5 speed manual (which is how I would prefer to get it).

Is real world mileage worse? I know the 4.0 is pretty bulletproof but how is the rest of the vehicle?

Also does the 4.0 have decent performance or can it at least have some decent performance coaxed out of it?
 

timeless2

Vi Veri Veni Versum Vicus Vici
Admin Dude
Nov 29, 1999
1,366
202
154
the Shadow Gallery
Jan 30, 2014
#2
  • Jan 30, 2014
  • #2
The only negatives I know of from experience are: electrical gremlins and not-so-great automatic transmissions. Else, they are bulletproof, for the most part.
 

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
6,945
1,598
223
Northern KY
Jan 30, 2014
#3
  • Jan 30, 2014
  • #3
I've owned my '98 for 10 years. I got it with 74k on it, it now has something like 209k. So far the only things I've had to replace were:

Front track bar, the bushings went out, and I think are out again
Starter
Water pump
Alternator (only to find out it was the plug, not the alt itself)
Exhaust twice, replaced the manifold a year ago (which are tubular and prone to cracking)
Batteries a few times
AC condenser cooling fan, currently the AC is hot, I think the compressor is dead

Aside from that I had this issue where the factory block heater blew out of the block because the screw that held it in rusted and broke, which resulted in all my coolant dumping out while going 70mph down the highway. I bought another one and replaced it because I couldn't get in with a hammer to put a freeze out plug in its place. So far (knock on wood) my automatic trans is perfect. The 4wd works great, but now and then it seems to stick in 4wd when you drop it back down into 2wd, but all you have to do is take it out of drive or stop and put it in reverse and it opens up. Power wise, I've always been impressed with how much get up and go it has, but I believe mine has 3.73s in it (which I think were a Sport option). I towed a car on a dolly once and couldn't really tell it was there until I went to stop. Gas mileage does indeed suck though. Mine gets around 16 or so mixed. We call it "the Immortal" because the damn thing just keeps on running despite all the age and wear we've put it through. If I could find a good deal on a low mileage one, I would buy another one, in spite of the crappy mileage.
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,418
21,628
234
Box behind Walmart
Jan 30, 2014
#4
  • Jan 30, 2014
  • #4
All that I'm going to say is that you need to look at a late model Durango for comparison before you buy one. Specifically, the 8 speed V6.
 

DocG

5th graders > me. They're not bant
Sep 25, 2005
8,297
1,358
194
Cincinnati area
Jan 30, 2014
#5
  • Jan 30, 2014
  • #5
I sought out a Cherokee as my toy. Spent about 4 months looking.

Came across mine from a friend who bought it as a salvage and rebuilds vehicles. Bought it for 2k and he already had the two front fenders and both passenger doors with glass and matching color.

Has 110k miles. It is an auto. 5spd Cherokees are a little harder to find.

Anyways, I have beat the out of this since I have had it and it seems to want more. Gas mileage yeah that kinda sucks.

Depends on what you are using it for. Again mine is my toy and I have lifted it and stuff and so far nothing has stopped of. Went 40mph up a bumpy pipeline once and actually got about 2 feet of air with it.

 

DocG

5th graders > me. They're not bant
Sep 25, 2005
8,297
1,358
194
Cincinnati area
Jan 30, 2014
#6
  • Jan 30, 2014
  • #6
Noobz347 said:
All that I'm going to say is that you need to look at a late model Durango for comparison before you buy one. Specifically, the 8 speed V6.
Click to expand...

Ummm...wouldn't that probably cost 10k more? At least?
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,418
21,628
234
Box behind Walmart
Jan 30, 2014
#7
  • Jan 30, 2014
  • #7
DocG2828 said:
Ummm...wouldn't that probably cost 10k more? At least?
Click to expand...


Oh... I think I missed the portion where price was discussed.

Carry on.
 

NTO_GUY

5 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
386
6
29
Indiana
Jan 30, 2014
#8
  • Jan 30, 2014
  • #8
The only problems I ever saw with the Cherokee are exhaust leaks at the manifold and window regulators going bad. Other than that they seem pretty solid.
 

DocG

5th graders > me. They're not bant
Sep 25, 2005
8,297
1,358
194
Cincinnati area
Jan 30, 2014
#9
  • Jan 30, 2014
  • #9
Noobz347 said:
Oh... I think I missed the portion where price was discussed.

Carry on.
Click to expand...


GTFO!

I just took price as a given if he I talking about used Cherokees.

It's ok we can't all have common sense.
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,418
21,628
234
Box behind Walmart
Jan 30, 2014
#10
  • Jan 30, 2014
  • #10
I want a 1968 Pantera Mangusta... Deep burgundy will do.

\kthx bai
 

88LX5.Oh

15 Year Member
Dec 30, 2011
1,442
205
94
Arkansas
Jan 30, 2014
#11
  • Jan 30, 2014
  • #11
Who cares about fuel mileage in a 4x4 lol. Get a Bronco.
I do however get roughly 15-16 MPG in mine but that's on the highway. Not bad for 6 inch lift, 35's, and 4.10's.
 

rbohm

Founding Member
Apr 12, 2002
6,698
550
204
tucson,az
Jan 30, 2014
#12
  • Jan 30, 2014
  • #12
if you are needing room, get an explorer instead the cherokee is a bit small inside.
 

Red_LX

I’m not much help unless you’re looking for ****!
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
5,896
73
129
Morgantown, WV...where couches meet their doom
Jan 31, 2014
#13
  • Jan 31, 2014
  • #13
Yes price is definitely a factor. I don't currently know what my budget will be, but I'm guessing it will be around $6000 or less. My wife wants a new vehicle and I really only want a truck/SUV for the 4x4 and ability to haul stuff in it, so I wasn't looking for anything super fancy at the time.

So I've mostly been looking at used stuff, but I've definitely noticed people are selling a lot more junk nowadays and everything seems to have 200K on it. Some things I have under consideration are 4runners (if I could find one that wasn't overpriced), Dakotas, Cherokees, Rangers, and older full size trucks (if I could find any that weren't ragged out or rusted out). I used to drive a diesel F250 that got 13 mpg so I'm not expecting any kind of amazing mileage from a truck. Used truck shopping reminds me how much I hate living in the rust belt. Everything needs rockers, cab corners and bed wheel arches.
 
Reactions: mijo_latino

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
6,945
1,598
223
Northern KY
Jan 31, 2014
#14
  • Jan 31, 2014
  • #14
Noobz347 said:
I want a 1968 Pantera Mangusta... Deep burgundy will do.

\kthx bai
Click to expand...

I'll see your Mangusta and raise you a '85 GT5-S
 

88LX5.Oh

15 Year Member
Dec 30, 2011
1,442
205
94
Arkansas
Jan 31, 2014
#15
  • Jan 31, 2014
  • #15
Try looking for a southern truck. You'll of course have to drive to get em but still it may be worth it. I don't see too many rusted vehicles where I am
 

madspeed

Colonel Mustard
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
8,913
1,332
204
a van down by the river
Feb 4, 2014
#16
  • Feb 4, 2014
  • #16
I agree on the GT5, pure sex
 

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
6,945
1,598
223
Northern KY
Feb 5, 2014
#17
  • Feb 5, 2014
  • #17
Drove my Cherokee this morning in the ice mess we got overnight. Mine is just stock height with one size wider tires than stock, but I swear this thing is unstoppable in snow.
 

DocG

5th graders > me. They're not bant
Sep 25, 2005
8,297
1,358
194
Cincinnati area
Feb 6, 2014
#18
  • Feb 6, 2014
  • #18
85_SS_302_Coupe said:
Drove my Cherokee this morning in the ice mess we got overnight. Mine is just stock height with one size wider tires than stock, but I swear this thing is unstoppable in snow.
Click to expand...

Yeah I was out playing in mine yesterday. Pretty much will get traction in anything.
 

DocG

5th graders > me. They're not bant
Sep 25, 2005
8,297
1,358
194
Cincinnati area
Feb 6, 2014
#19
  • Feb 6, 2014
  • #19
Ice...snow...pffft!

Apparently need to hit a bigger snow bank to break off the fangs...

 

ximportdriver

20+ Year Stangneter
Oct 7, 2003
386
46
59
Rancho Cordova
Feb 6, 2014
#20
  • Feb 6, 2014
  • #20
The new 30mpg diesel option in the 2014 Grand Cherokee seems like a good option with 410ft-lb. But that would be pricier than a Durango. Seems the late model has really become more eco friendly and feature rich.
 
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Off-Topic Hangout
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?