I just found my build sheet!!!! Guess where.

mustangprodude

Jun 7, 2004
I had the instrument cluster out of my '65 fastback preparing to paint the dash. While it was out I decided to check the wiring up in the dash. While browsing I noticed a folded piece of paper taped to the main wiring harness with black electrical tape. It was very old and brittle, I thought maybe it was just something related to the wiring. But once I pulled it out and opened it up I freaked out. It was a build sheet from the factory!!! I couldn't believe it! My car has been through many owners and has been worked over pretty good, but obviously no one has been in the dash. It's awesome to find such an important fragile artifact still intact in the car.

For those of you who may want to look in your dash. Here's some info on my car that might help someone find there's.

It's a '65 fastback built at the Metuchen NJ factory. Build date of April 20, 1965 (20R). Unit# 153540. The sheet was taped to the main wiring harness behind the instrument cluster up high against the top of the dash.

I'd like to hear stories of where everyone else has found build sheets. Is there anywhere on the web that decodes them?

• Sponsors (?)

What don't you understand? The unit numbers started with 100001 so yours was 50 something thousand down the line. 63A was a standard fastback (71,303 built), and 63B was a luxury fastback, (5,776 built). Post up what you want to know; hopefully someone here will have the answers or be able to help find them.

You were lucky, my build sheet was under my carpet and the underlay. It came apart when I tried to pick it up. I got pictures of the pieces, but you can't really read them.

How awesome, I too have a 63B luxury FB (Built in NJ as well but on Aug 10 of 1965), the VIN is no problem to decode (see below), and I also found my build sheet in the same spot you did but I CANNOT find ANYONE who can decode ANYThing about the build sheet, Any help would be VERY much appreciated ;)

Year:​
5​
1965​
Plant:​
T​
Metuchen, NJ​
Body Series:​
09​
2+2 Fastback​
Engine:​
C​
289 2v V8​
Unit:​
201159​
201159​

Miscellaneous Vehicle Data
Body:​
63B​
2+2 Fastback, Pony Interior​
Color:​
5​
Twilight Turquoise Metallic​
Trim:​
67​
Lt. Aqua Crinkle Vinyl and White Crinkle Vinyl, Pony Interior​
Date:​
10V​
August 10, 1965​
D.S.O:​
14​
Pittsburgh​
Axle:​
6​
2.80:1, Conventional​
Trans:​
5​
4-Speed Manual​

Attachments

• IMG_0807.jpg
    IMG_0807.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 246
  • Build Sheet.jpg
    Build Sheet.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 424
Reactions: 1 user
I have found them taped to the roof under the headlinner ,on top of the seat box under the carpet ,in the floor under the carpet ,taped to the wiring harness in the dash ,but the strangest place was inside the trunk lid on my 66 gt fast back ,i found that one when i blew inside of the lid with an air hose ,it blew it to pieces

Reactions: 1 user
I am not a 1st gen guy so I just don't have the knowledge of options, combinations, codes, etc. that the experts on the 1st gen do.

I have built a decoder for 1965 Mustangs in an Excel spreadsheet and here is my crude interpretation of some of the codes that are easy for me to figure out.

Line 1
ROT - 18 = trim & chassis assembly line rotations #18
Serial Number - 5T09C201159 = Vehicle Identification Number
Warranty Plant Code - 63B = Mustang 2+2 fastback body, deluxe (Pony) interior
I.B. Color Code - 7 = Turquoise instrument board (dash) color
Paint, B - 5 = Twilight Turquoise body paint color
Paint, T - [blank]
Trim - 67 = Aqua & White interior, deluxe (Pony) seating
Trim, Dev - [blank] = no interior trim deviation
Tops - VIN Roof - [blank] = no convertible roof
Type Order - C = basic off-standard equipment order
Sched Date - 10V = August 10, 1965 scheduled build date
Region/District - 14 = Pittsburgh district sales office
DSO/FTO/PTO - [blank] = not a special order

Line 2
Car Line - C = Mustang model line
Axle - W6 = 2.80:1 axle ratio, non-limited slip differential (6)
Eng. Trans. - C5 = 289 CID 2V engine (C), 4-speed manual transmission (5)

Attachments

• 5T09C201159.jpg
    5T09C201159.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 349