I need a good powersteering pump...suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

It really is hit and miss with these things unfortunately :(

They are all reman'd now, so buying new is out of the question.
It all depends on whether they machine the internals properly ... sometimes the factory worker will just eyeball and proceed with replacing parts so when you install it you will get the typical 'chatter' sound when turning.

I tried a number of different brands and found the same result with each.
My '90 notch still has the factory pump on it and is the only Stang car/pump I've had that is dead quiet :shrug:

I suggest just getting one at your local auto parts store with at least a five year warranty so you can keep returning it if need be. Buying an AGR from summit or jegs isn't advisable due to the fact you may just happen to get the chatterer of the bunch.

You could always go to manual and build some Popeye arms :)

Good Luck

Yeah I'm wanting a "new" powersteering pump for my daily driver. I hate the whine I get and the excessive load it puts on the engine more so than it should. I would like as quite as one as possible (least whine) and that is reliable.

Keep them coming and thanks for the replies:nice:

Has anyone tried putting the pump for a 94-95 in a fox? The steering on the '94 is about 10 times better than the fox. It is heavier (nice feel) and the pump is quiet, even with the HUGE stock underdriven pulley.

I have no clue if that is at all plausable, but thought I might toss it out in case someone knows.

Good luck David.

Dont mean to hijack the thread, but figure while were on the subject....aside from the sound, what other benefits can we find from using a different pump? Where do stock pumps usually leak and why/where do they fail?

How much is a ford pump? How much does a part store part number cost?

Yeah I hate the "whine" when I turn (it's embarrasing) and it seems like the car is unkept or something. I'm just picky:D

HISSIN50 said:
Has anyone tried putting the pump for a 94-95 in a fox? The steering on the '94 is about 10 times better than the fox. It is heavier (nice feel) and the pump is quiet, even with the HUGE stock underdriven pulley.

I have no clue if that is at all plausable, but thought I might toss it out in case someone knows.

Good luck David.
I have never tried that one but I did install a power steering pump cooler from a 94-95 that seemed to work nice.

I would just try one from Autozone like jrichker suggested.

Am I the only one who has tried synthetic atf in the p/s?

I talked to some old timer Ford Guru's, they told me that the p/s pumps were originally designed for atf.

Last time I put a new pump in I flushed the system with synth. atf, redline same as I put in the T5. I am very happy with the noise level, which is almost nonexistent. I've had this setup for over 2000 miles now.

Could this be bad for the seals? I doubt it, but even if the durability suffers, I like the quiet pump.

Feel free to make fun of me for doing something dumb if you wish.:D
jason

The good ol winter car developed a nasty whine from the p/s pump last winter. Could have been all those lock to lock sideways action in the snow(Audi 4000K quattro). But anyways, i flushed the system, and filled with fresh ATF and used some of that Lucas p/s pump stuff and it worked pretty good i thought. Cant hear it any more i havent used it in the stang as my pump isnt loud by any means, maybe i got lucky, even though when i bought it i test drove it with the res. bone dry.

Roland69 said:
P/S fluid is the same as ATF if you read the back of most ATF bottles they read "may be used in power steering fill ups" And it cost way less to buy a 1 litre bottle of ATF than a 500ml bottle of P/S juice. :shrug:

ATF can work one way (goes towards powersteering) but don't put powersteering fluid in a t5.

Keep the suggestions coming...I'm thinking of one from autozone...how much do they normally run?

5 spd - the one from AutoZone I put in mine whines more loudly than the one I took out -- sample of 1. I just tell folks it's got a blower.

The accessory package on the 94/5's is different than the Fox - they have the power steering pump up top and the compressor down low. Does anyone know if the 94/5 will fit the Fox?

HISSIN50 said:

Good luck David.

i put in a 95 gt power steering pump but changed out the pulley...no noise what so ever