I need a wiring diagram for a aftermarket relay

oldfox

Feb 19, 2009
Hi, I'm going to be wiring up a relay for an electric fan and using a aftermarket relay. I didn't get a wiring diagram with it.
On the bottom of the the relay the terminals are marked
85 86 87 87-a 30

Please keep in mind that I have air and want the fans to kick on with the
a/c compressor
That's 85 on the far right

relay.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Your coil is gonna be 85 and 86. This is what will activate the relay. If you want the ac to activate it at well, you'll have tp tap into the relay wiring on the power sode of the relay, the ac coil engages when it sees 12+ v, so by tapping into the black/yellow wire in the coil on the hot side, and grounding the relay, it should kick the relay in with the ac....in addition to whatever manual switch you install. You just need to get power there via switch or coil.

30 will be your constant power for the fan. Make sure the wire size is adequate and fused.

87a and 87 are you contacts. When unpowered, the relay is latched to 87a. When it's power, it latches to 87. You'll want to connect the fan here.

Make sure the relay amperage can handle the fan...and the fuse should have the lowest rating

OK, I used RangerJoes diagram to figure out how the relay works. I hooked up a relay on the workbench and I was using a test light just sort of playing with it and I couldn't figure out how to get the fans to kick on if I only used one standard relay. Mustang5L5, I forgot to mention that I'm using a one wire sensor that grounds when it reaches the temperature I want the fans to come on at. Your idea would work if I was using a two wire sensor. But thanks for kicking some info into help.
I kept searching until I found this on the net. I thought I would post it in case someone else is going to wire in a fan and they have air conditioning. From what I have read the reason the factory fans come on with the air is because the fan must come on to cool the A/C condenser when ever the air is on even if the engine is cool.
I guess I'm guilty of asking before taking the time to look for what I was wanting to know. hope this helps someone.

relaywiring.gif