• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

I6 T/C STALL SPEED

  • Thread starter Thread starter krash kendall
  • Start date Start date Dec 23, 2004

krash kendall

Active Member
Nov 19, 2004
1,258
0
36
Aldergrove, B.C. Canada
Dec 23, 2004
#1
  • Dec 23, 2004
  • #1
As some may know, my car was poorly converted to a 302 by a previous owner. I have remedied all safety/suspension problems and have upgraded the power output.

The engine performs very well above 2700 RPM but really gets bogged if I try to get moving in a hurry. I have no doubt that the T/C is from the I6. Is the stall speed on it very low compared to what I should have for adequate street performance? I would like to have a little more confidence when I pull out to pass someone from a slow speed. Currently I have to really feather the throttle to prevent the engine from revolting against me.

Edelbrock 600 elec. choke
Edelbrock 302 performer
Headers
Colt cam
12.5:1 comp. (yeah I know its high, but I do run premium gas)

Any help would be appreciated!
 

krash kendall

Active Member
Nov 19, 2004
1,258
0
36
Aldergrove, B.C. Canada
Dec 23, 2004
#2
  • Dec 23, 2004
  • #2
Is this thread only visible on my computer?
 

Max Power

Active Member
Jul 31, 2003
1,774
1
36
St Paul
Dec 23, 2004
#3
  • Dec 23, 2004
  • #3
Gear ratio? Cam specs?

I think the stock converter will be about 1300-1500 with the six, but if the same converter was used, the stall may be higher with more horsepower.
 

brianj5600

Active Member
Sep 19, 2003
1,964
2
39
Middle TN
Dec 23, 2004
#4
  • Dec 23, 2004
  • #4
The six converter won't bolt up to a 302. If it did the starter won't fit. I think i6 converters have the starter ring on the converter. Plus i6 would most likely have a higher stall speed.
 

krash kendall

Active Member
Nov 19, 2004
1,258
0
36
Aldergrove, B.C. Canada
Dec 23, 2004
#5
  • Dec 23, 2004
  • #5
brianj5600 said:
The six converter won't bolt up to a 302. If it did the starter won't fit. I think i6 converters have the starter ring on the converter. Plus i6 would most likely have a higher stall speed.
Click to expand...


Thanks. The ring gear is on the flex plate, so if what you're saying is correct then I have a V8 T/C. I like to know my own evil, but since I've only had the car for five years I'm still on the learning curve as to what previous owners have or haven't done.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

E
2007 GT Stalls when lights or a/c turned on
  • ejscarfo
  • Jun 22, 2026
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
255
2005 - 2009 Specific Tech Sep 26, 2026
manicmechanic007
S
Engine Stalls when downshifting/coasting
  • Scott_S
  • Nov 5, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
832
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Nov 6, 2025
Mustang5L5
J
68 Mustang with Foxbody Engine Stalling Issues - MSPNP2
  • JayV68Stang
  • Mar 13, 2025
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
3
Views
483
Digital Self-tuning Forum Mar 13, 2025
JayV68Stang
J
6
Hey all,I’m putting together a 302 for my 1968 Mustang and wanted to post the combo + some questions to make sure I’m not missing crucial
  • 68_Disgustang
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
gray owl
G
WTB/Trade Looking for a T-Top Hatch. Possible convertible trade? (Rhode Island)
  • 7upper
  • Mar 18, 2025
  • Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93)
Replies
0
Views
369
Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93) Mar 18, 2025
7upper
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?