IDLE CLICKING NOISE

02v6auto

Jul 19, 2007
The other day I noticed when my car was idleing I could hear a faint clicking sound coming from under the hood. I also noticed it gets alittle more noticeable and quicker when I accelerate. So I popped the hood and it sounds like it's the belt or a pulley/wheels- not even sure. Also not sure if belt dressing could help this. Its not really a problem- it just annoys the hell out of me because its like- now you hear it - now you dont.

Can anyone help me with this?

Also after I got duals put on my 02 v6 stang my cruise control stopped working. I checked all of the fuses and their fine. Im sure the exhaust probaly doesnt have anything to do with it- but I figured Id tell it like it happended?

Also can anyone help me with this too??

• Sponsors (?)

A couple of things.

While it is idling, open the hood and look at the tensioner. Is it jumping a bit? If the pulley bearing starts to fail/drag, it will make the tensioner arm jump a bit and you can hear that for sure as a clicking/rattling noise. Other sources can be any pulley under the hood. The A/C clutch bearing can start to go out, idler pulley bearings can be starting to go out, and it could even be the water pump or alternator.

You can always remove the belt, at least take it off the crankshaft pulley, and crank it up for a few seconds and see if the noise has gone, and make sure you are not hearing a cam follower ticking.