I'm sooo excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

cas69aus19

Sep 14, 2005
B-town NV
Please please help Engine/Trans problem

Just got the car running today and did the break in. After i broke it in i decided to take a test drive. When i went to put it in gear it didn't move. I checked the tranny fluid(C4). It was a little low. Added fluid, then when i put in reverse it wanted to lunge forward. And take off. I also noticed that when i added the tranny fluid the car acted like it fell on its face and completely lost power. It became less responsive and sounded like it was bogging down. Before i put it in gear i could turn 6000 rpm easy. After i tried putting it in gear it struggled to reach 3000-3500 rpm. When it started doing that the engine started surging as well.

Here is the kicker, Shifting from park to reverse it goes forward. Same with nuetral. Every gear is "Drive", except Park.

What exactly does the vacuum modulator do,?, and how bad will it affect the car if it is not working properly?
Also do i have to have the kickdown tube hooked up just for a test drive.?.
I have done research on the site, and there is one thread that was similiar to my problem but his was fuel related.

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Check your linkage, did you get it hooked up right after the new motor went in? Also did you have the trans apart to do a shift kit or something, I took my valve body out of my C4 and got it out of whack when I put it back together and it did almost the same thing, disconect the linkage and make sure that it is all the way in park (forward), make sure the handle agrees and put it back together? I wouldnt drive it untill your gears are working the way there supposed to.

I didn't mess with the tranny at all.

When i re-installed the motor, i did have to suck the motor to the trans barely. Only like an 1/8 of an inch. If that be the case is it costly to get fixed.

Also how come it didn't start acting like that till i put it in gear.

What would be your suggestions to fix it.

Start it in your driveway/garage.........run the shifter though every gear....for 10 seconds each......R,N.D.2.1. then back up 10 second each. Then check the level of the tranny (running in park). Check your vaumm modulator, make sure all your vacumm conections are good.

Mike

When you put the engine back in, you first installed the Torque converter on the transmission and then bolted the torque converter to the flywheel, right? That last 1/8" is about the distance required to engage the inner spline on the pump...

Status
Not open for further replies.