I'm trying to bend the rules of CARB laws. Please help me with your knowledge and wisdom

AlexByson

Jul 11, 2019
California
Hi everyone I'm 17 and recently bought myself a 2006 mustang gt as my graduation present to myself. Any who I've been looking at power mods for my mustang and stumbled across Department of Boost and I was blown away with the price and raving reviews of the product. One problem though, I live in California where it's illegal to have too much fun. Okay okay sorry, my question is, since the kit uses an OEM gt500 supercharger which are on gt500s which are legal in California, does that mean that I could put that supercharger on my car legally? I think I know the answer and if it's a no than can I make my supercharger look like it came off the factory line like that to for a lack of better words "fool" the smog techs? I live in Northern CA where it seems like less people care about that stuff compared to what I heard happens in Southern CA (road side dyno checks and inspection checkpoints). I appricate all the incite you guys can give me, thanks.

Alex

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not a lawyer, nor have I ever played a lawyer on tv, radio or on the internet. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.
I also don't live in California but here is what I would do in you case, I'm sure there is a list of 'rules' covering smog checks and forbidden equipment, find it, print it, scrutinize the parts that would effect you. Then find out how to work the smog police, meaning there has to be a way to contest a failure if that happens, referee, arbitration or a review from a board of inspectors.
It may not be easy but if it ain't in the rules then you may be able to do it.
JMO

I'm not a lawyer, nor have I ever played a lawyer on tv, radio or on the internet. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.
I also don't live in California but here is what I would do in you case, I'm sure there is a list of 'rules' covering smog checks and forbidden equipment, find it, print it, scrutinize the parts that would effect you. Then find out how to work the smog police, meaning there has to be a way to contest a failure if that happens, referee, arbitration or a review from a board of inspectors.
It may not be easy but if it ain't in the rules then you may be able to do it.
JMO

That's a good idea. My logic is it's on cars that are practically the same as mine just has that supercharger on it from the factory and they are legal so why not be able to put it on mine. I've seen pictures with the kit on the car and it looks super from the factory. As in its not polished and has no logos anywhere to be found. So I might also go to my local smog guy and ask him what he thinks. In cali it doesn't matter how clean your car runs, if you have an illegal part on the car, you get fined heavily. Especially if the dmv finds out.