Inner Door Panels, were there ever cloth inserts?

a_bartle

Sep 5, 2018
Peck, MI
I'm new to the Mustang world; picked up a low mileage '98 convertible last fall. Sadly I've discovered it has a cigarette burn in the drivers inner door panel. Haven't found a replacement yet, but I was wondering. During the '94 to '04 SN95 run, did Ford ever offer a "cloth" insert (see the area circled in the pic) on these door panels? I have charcoal colored tweed cloth seats, and I think it would look nice to match that on the door panels (if I could ever find the original seat material....). Wondering if there was a secondary plastic piece made to fit that shape/contour that I could get upholstered?

Inner-Door-Panel_insert.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I did see on the internet a photo showing that area covered in perforated leather (or vinyl) "different" than the rest of the door...

Attachments

• 45608793.jpg
    45608793.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 40837500.jpg
    40837500.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 142
I believe that texture is molded into the panel and only on the earlier 94-95 cars. It's simulated perforation. However it's been some time since I've been in a 94-95 car so i'm not 100%. You might want to ask this question in the 94-95 section

The 99-04 panels are definitely molded into the door. You can see here how there's no seam other than the door cup pod
20141227151022_4932.jpg

Mustang5L5 - You are correct, no question there is NO seam on the new edge (99-04) door panels, and even on my '98 version door panel... but I'm curious as to the ones I've seen that do have a vinyl insert in that area (high end early GT or Cobra models?). Wondering if it had a separate molded piece which was covered in vinyl, then applied to the door panel, or some kind of automated process that simply applied (glued) a piece of vinyl directly to the door. Hopefully someone with a 94~95 Stang will chime in...

I have seen the part of the door panel Vinyl wrapped before,never a from the factory option.But as far as I know. The bottom/lower portion of the panel is the only area that has a carpet strip