Intake manifold/ general mod advice

5.joe

Jul 16, 2020
Bay Area
I have a 1990 gt with full exhaust (shorty headers/off road h pipe/ Flowmaster cat back) and I have a cold air intake and 75mm throttle body waiting to be installed.

I was thinking about purchasing a trickflow street burner intake manifold too but would it make sense to install that even tho I still have stock heads? Are there any other pieces I should purchase and install at the same time?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

IMHO, no at this time you don't need that intake. If you are planning better heads down the road you can certainly run it, but that intake, and the 75mm TB are a bit "big" for a stock head/cam car.

If you were planning on keeping the car relatively stock for the foreseeable future, I would recommend an early (with the EGR) explorer intake manifold and early explorer 65mm TB. You can usually get that all for under $200 and it will be a nice match for the stock heads/cam.

Now, if you told me a year from now you were planning an Aluminum headed 331 with a radical cam, i'd change my answer. Really it's your call as to where you realistically see yourself going with future plans, and how to prep for it.