Intermittent engine miss, 68 5.0L

FREDDIEBEAR

May 25, 2019
OHIO
Went from points to Pertronix years ago on MY 68 5.0L years ago run fine until it failed recently, decided to go with HEI ignition with external coil and problems ever since. Resistor wire has be eliminated all together with new pig tail, carb was overhauled, different carb installed, different distributor, added extra grounds and the list goes on. Also spoke with local Ford and they could not answer this question, should I also include the existing wire that was eliminated when the new wire was run from the ignition switch to the coil ?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

So if I understand this, you ran the Pertronix with the resistor wire, correct? This is a no-no if in fact that's what you did and will cause failure. But anyway, you ran it for years and it failed for whatever reason. So you then switched to a HEI ignition and then the carb went bad? How the hell did that happen? My advice is to put another Pertronix in it (had mine for about 12 years so far, no issues ever) this time eliminate the resistor wire and everything should be fine.

Went from points to Pertronix years ago on MY 68 5.0L years ago run fine until it failed recently, decided to go with HEI ignition with external coil and problems ever since. Resistor wire has be eliminated all together with new pig tail, carb was overhauled, different carb installed, different distributor, added extra grounds and the list goes on. Also spoke with local Ford and they could not answer this question, should I also include the existing wire that was eliminated when the new wire was run from the ignition switch to the coil ?

Thanks for the reply and let me clarify, when I installed the Pertronix, had cut the resistor wire just short enough to bypass and it run fine until it failed this spring. Thought I would try the HEI system, with problems ever since, so replaced the pigtail at the switch, same problem, called their tech support, explained my problem, sent me another distributor, same problem, had the carb overhauled thinking it my be contamination floating in the fuel bowl causing a possible blockage of the metering plate at times and I was wrong. I will take your advice a go back with Pertronix.

It's just an observation, however, I bypassed my pink wire completely by going right to the ignition switch itself for my 12V source. I see lots of anti-Pertronix comments on the internet and on reviews, but I've never experienced any problems, not because I'm a tuning wizard, but I did follow the instructions. I also used a completed Pertronix system, including their coild and plug wires, so who knows if that has an affect.

Had went with the HEI because some of my gear head Ford friends had installed it, supposedly the best thing since sliced bread and the loaf I purchased must have been stale from the word GO. Will repost after put the Pertronix system back on.

Yeah, I hear ya. Personally I'm not an HEI fan even in GM cars. I bought a new GMC pickup years ago and it left me stranded within 40K miles of very easy use due to the HEI. Sometimes they run forever, sometimes they run for a week. I think you're on the right track.

Removed the HEI ignition system, purchased Pertronix Ignitor III once again and still have the intermittent miss. Had told you previously that I also replaced the ignition switch pig tail with no resistor wire, using that as my power source running it directly to the coil. Once again, I am reaching out for any ideas to resolve my problem. Thanks