• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Intermittent Sputtering Under Load

  • Thread starter Thread starter RysRed96GT
  • Start date Start date Nov 1, 2017

RysRed96GT

I like it FURRY!!!
Founding Member
Apr 9, 2001
3,207
0
56
Pasadena, MD
Nov 1, 2017
#1
  • Nov 1, 2017
  • #1
I recently had a coolant leak that, as I was told by my mechanic, got down into the plug wires. They've replaced the plug wires, I've replaced the two coil-packs, yet still have an issue with the engine where, intermittently under load, it will have a consistent sputter. Almost like a misfire. There's no clanking sound, but a repetitive sputter and noticeable loss of power. Sometimes, it will run just fine randomly while driving, but most of the time it will have the sputter issue.

My guess is the plugs, which I will replace, but what else could it be? Dirty MAF? Thanks.
 

RaggedGT

Been here over a DECADE and still no CT
Mod Dude
Jul 20, 2014
4,753
3,207
203
Taylorsville ky
Nov 1, 2017
#2
  • Nov 1, 2017
  • #2
Check engine light on?
Any stored codes?
 

squeak93

15 Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
2,319
396
164
Joplin, Missouri
Nov 1, 2017
#3
  • Nov 1, 2017
  • #3
OHM out your plug wires. I've seen new ones be bad and cause folks to chase this gremlin. Change the plugs and ensure you don't have any loose connection on the injectors as well.


That is if there are no codes present.
 

RysRed96GT

I like it FURRY!!!
Founding Member
Apr 9, 2001
3,207
0
56
Pasadena, MD
Nov 1, 2017
#4
  • Nov 1, 2017
  • #4
No codes. Nothing pending either. I was planning on changing out the plugs and cleaning the MAF, just wasn't sure what else would be worth checking, especially considering the issue is intermittent rather than consistent.
 

squeak93

15 Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
2,319
396
164
Joplin, Missouri
Nov 1, 2017
#5
  • Nov 1, 2017
  • #5
Do all of that and check your grounds. There is one coming from the block the the frame that if nasty can cause odd issues.
 

RaggedGT

Been here over a DECADE and still no CT
Mod Dude
Jul 20, 2014
4,753
3,207
203
Taylorsville ky
Nov 1, 2017
#6
  • Nov 1, 2017
  • #6
What caused antifeeze to get all over the bay?
 

squeak93

15 Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
2,319
396
164
Joplin, Missouri
Nov 1, 2017
#7
  • Nov 1, 2017
  • #7
I would speculate a coolant crossover failure or heater core hose burst.
 
Reactions: RaggedGT

RysRed96GT

I like it FURRY!!!
Founding Member
Apr 9, 2001
3,207
0
56
Pasadena, MD
Nov 1, 2017
#8
  • Nov 1, 2017
  • #8
squeak93 said:
I would speculate a coolant crossover failure or heater core hose burst.
Click to expand...

Yep, heater core hose leaked.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

I
98 Mustang GT dying
  • ItsMason
  • May 14, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
193
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jun 25, 2026
lenzgt
L
M
01 mustang 3.8 fuel pressure issue
  • Mhaley2006
  • May 29, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
371
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 9, 2026
JohnKay
J
M
Help! 2003 GT misfire when hot
  • Modular03
  • Feb 10, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
506
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Feb 13, 2026
Mustang5L5
F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
527
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
442
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?