Is ford trac loc strong?

Yellowpnoy

Feb 6, 2006
Hey guys i am looking to buy a diff for my car to handle the power of my new motor. I was looking on summits website and they have a bunch to choose from. The trac loc is the most affordable of the bunch in 31 spline but they also have a Ford racing auburn pro in 31 spline and its about 200 more. Is the trac loc strong enough to handle a 427? Or am i better off going with the auburn unit? I will be upgrading the axles with it also. Thanks!

Anthony
Dart Block 427
Brodix track 1 225's
Edelbrock Victor EFI

• Sponsors (?)

If you want to put the power of a 427 down at all, you'll need at least an Auburn. Problem w/ them is they will still wear out like a trac-lock after a while, and they're not rebuildable by a mechanic-- they have to be sent back to the factory. If you want something that will actually hold up under a lot of torque, get the power to both tires evenly, and not break (important part) a Detroit Locker is really the way to go, especially w/ slicks or drag radials. Yes, they're a little noisy, but so is a 427.

The only good thing about a track-lock in an application like yours is you'll be able to rebuild it easily, which you'll find yourself doing a lot if you like the strip.

Thanks for the help. I will not be going to the track that much with the car, maybe 1 or 2 times a month if that (gets too crowded with ricers when the weather gets warm), but mainly going to cruises etc. I will check out the detroit locker. Thanks!

Anthony

I run a low 11 sec nitrous 306 car, we have gotten 250 passes on the 31 spline trac-lok before rebuilding. We have also only gotten about a 100 passes on the 31 spline unit before it one wheel pealed.

I also just saw on jegs website the auburn ected differential, electronic locker. Sounds pretty good, but real pricey. If you can get that many passes out of a track lock thats not too bad. There are more options than i thought. I will have to think about this one! Any more opinions?

Anthony

I have noticed that alot of 03-04 Cobras still run the trac lock with 500 hp and even some with 600 hp, but I don't know how long they will last at that power level. I plan on getting the 31 spline trac lock with the carbon clutches like the ones that are used in 03-04 Cobras. I have seen them for $249 somewhere.