• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Drivetrain Issue With Putting In First Gear

  • Thread starter Thread starter fordtech28
  • Start date Start date May 30, 2012
F

fordtech28

Member
May 12, 2006
312
0
17
Riverside Cali.
May 30, 2012
#1
  • May 30, 2012
  • #1
This morning I was going to take my cobra to work and I needed to stop for gas.So I get to the gas station turn off the car then after i was done filling it up I tried putting it into first gear and it was making a grinding noise. So I started driving it in second gear and that went in fine and so did the rest of the gears.When I dropped it off back home to get my other car I was able to get it into first gear once then after that it wouldnt go back into it.Im thinking I could be the shifter I have the Tri ax steeda shifter the car was sitting in my garage for a few months .I would turn it on once in a while and move it in and out of the garage with no issues until today the clutch is only a few months old and hasnt been driven much.

Any Ideas what I can check for

Thanks
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
May 30, 2012
#2
  • May 30, 2012
  • #2
If it grinds every time, it's almost always a broken blocker ring. If it was every gear, I would say it was a clutch, but one gear grinding like that?? The T-5 has composite fiber blocker rings, whereas most transmissions have brass ones. The carbon fiber ones are stronger, and shift faster, but they don't wear or distort, when it's time to go, they just crack, and your transmission grinds on that gear from there on out. Possibly a messed up slider, but my money is on the blocker ring. Definately not a shifter problem.

Kurt
 
F

fordtech28

Member
May 12, 2006
312
0
17
Riverside Cali.
May 31, 2012
#3
  • May 31, 2012
  • #3
I tried it again yesterday when I got home from work and I was able to shift it into first without it it grinding so I took it for a spin and it shift fine but when I got back home it did it again it wouldnt shift into first gear and the shifter itself was really notchy getting into all the gears now so now I think its a trans issue but I feel it right at the shifter
 
F

fordtech28

Member
May 12, 2006
312
0
17
Riverside Cali.
Jun 6, 2012
#4
  • Jun 6, 2012
  • #4
UPDATE

yesterday I finally had time to mess with it so I took off the shifter to see if there was anything weird in there and I notice the plate that has the paths for the gears and it was off to one side and even if I tried moving the shifter level and that piece didnt move and I notice that when I tried putting it in first gear it wasnt going in to the little track on the plate.So I got a big screwdriver and I pryed on the plate to make it straight and it finally moved with some force.Now its shifting fine but my question now is why did the plate get stuck. Any Transmission experts out there that can chime in why it did that?

J
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

C
Shifter lever arm issue
  • chris1993
  • Jan 18, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
232
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 24, 2026
Rcdgl
R
00 4.6L V8 new clutch won’t go into gear when on?
  • Timboslice
  • Aug 15, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
3
Views
181
The Welcome Wagon Aug 21, 2026
Noobz347
9
1997 gt Starts then dies a few seconds after.
  • 97orange
  • Aug 13, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
5
Views
210
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Aug 17, 2026
97orange
9
W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
218
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
J
Suspension Foxbody mustang Steering shaft issue
  • Jakub2537
  • Sep 5, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
248
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 11, 2026
gkomo
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?