Just finished my Pi cam and Intake swap.

D-BOI

Mar 26, 2009
Metro Detro
So finally today i was able to put everything back together, after having the car apart for more than i wanted too. Everything went back on perfectly and when i started her up she idled very well. There was no leaks, no rattles car runs perfect. However when i went for a ride, with my buddy driving behind some issues arose. He said the car was blowing black/white smoke when i got on it. I told him to go in the car and press the accelerator and when he did i too noticed white smoke. I also noticed that the car is running hotter than it did before the swap. Its not overheating there is no check engine light or anything but, the car is definitely not running as cool as it did.

Does this sound like i need to have the mustang tuned? From all the reading i have done i got the idea that a tune was not necessry to have done for a pi cam/intake swap.

What kind of dangers am i looking at here if i continue to drive the car? I drove it today for about 20 miles and dont really need to have it blow up on me :). Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. thank you

• Sponsors (?)

I used the pi gaskets and i put rtv in the front pass side and by the firewall on the drivers side. I sure as heck think i put a significant amount of rtv in there. I dont see any coolant leaks anywhere at all everything seems bone dry. Would a coolant leak cause it to run hotter than normal? How the heck would i know it if is leaking coolant? I do not see any traces of it anywhere.

The RTV might have sealed the coolant areas from leaking outside the motor, but it might have clogged the coolant areas inside causing it to leak to the cylinders. I'm just throwing out ideas since I have done this before on my cars. More than likely, you are going to have to tear it all back apart and see where the leak is at.

You mean the intake gaskets?

I read somewhere that i should re-torque the intake bolts once the car got warm, i forgot to do that. I will try to retorque them to 22 foot pounds tomorrow after i let it get to operating temp.

Ugh yes, intake gaskets. Typing too fast and being tired = fail

Anyway, the car COULD be running warmer because you're obviously burning through coolant rather quickly. Check your coolant levels.

So from the coolant passages it could be going into the intake ports? I tried cleaning the mating surface on the heads as best as I could but I didn't get to technigal with them, maybe I should have lightly sanded them with 1000 grit paper but they looked damn clean ro begin with.

I just checked the coolant level, I do not see any movement on it that would indicate it has gone lower, but then again I didn't measure it very precisely, I was just eye balling it.
As far as coolant leaking, the only place it could go into that would cause white smoke is in the intake ports on the heads correct? Sorry for the novice questions.

I don't think livernois sells that adapter anymore. Maybe you can find one on e-bay. IIRC it was like $500 for the manifold, adapters, gaskets, and all other install parts. The adapters were something like $300 by themselves.

So i went out there today started her up waited until she got warm and had someone hit the accelerator. Some waterdrops came out but no smoke really. WTF is going on with this thing. Also i noticed there is some traces of fluid on the right between the intake bolt and the intake on the drivers side closest to the firewall.

Tear it back down. Going to have to go over it again since you know where it is leaking from. It's not sealed completely. I've been there, trust me. My complex banned me from working on my car after one of my PI swaps.

Dang that sucks bro. The thing is I keep checking my coolant level and its not dropping at all. After 60 miles of driving nothing dropped. I just went to auto zone and I pulled 2 codes. 0430 0420.

1. Bad cats- I don't have any
2. Engine misfire
3. Large vacuum leak
4. Oil leak/valve guides/bearings.

I'm not too mechanically inclined with motors, suspension, brakes, minor stuff like that I can figure out but diagnosing I'm not too good at.

Doubt you would notice too much of a drop in coolant. It wouldnt take much to make it run bad.

Honestly i have driven it for 3 days and the coolant level has not dropped even 2 millimeters. The car still runs strong but definitely much hotter than before. Also it doesnt blow smoke all the time only when you start it, and hit the gas the first time it blows very little white smoke and everything after that smoke is non existant. I wonder if it could be from the valve guide seals form when installing the cams. Dunno