Just got back from my first Indy car race.

Randy'65

Founding Member
Feb 1, 2000
Richmond, VA
It was fun, but the cars were almost too fast. NASCAR averages in the 130 mph range here at the Richmond track, but these Indy cars go between 160 and 170! Usually just a blur.

I think I'll stick to NASCAR, the home grown drivers have personalities and 'cult' followings by their fans, plus the presence of Ford as a manufacturer. At least a Chevy didn't win!

• Sponsors (?)

I went to see Mario Andretti's last race at Laguna Seca several years ago. While the race was good, I really liked being able to get into the pits (something you can't do at a Cup race) to see the cars, meet some drivers, etc. I got to meet Mario, Dan Gurney, Eddie Lawson, Wllie T. Ribbs as well as my wife got to meet Jason Priestly. Same goes for drags, you get to see pretty much anyone you want. Go to a Nascar race and you get to meet the drunk next to you wearing the six year old Dale Earnhardt shirt who's about as loud as the cars... :D

NASCAR bores me to tears. The cars don't even faintly resemble their origins, the drivers spew drivers school interview rhetoric, and the damn thing has become a drafting contest. Other than the occasional Tony Stewart meltdown, there isn't much to see. Blech!!!